Losing Sync, ADSL light flashing (long post)

Old May 31st 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tech21

Default Losing Sync, ADSL light flashing (long post)

House set-up is this : -

BT wall socket

1x4 way BT socket adaptor

Adaptor Socket 1…ADSL Filter…Sky Box

Adaptor Socket 2…ADSL Filter…BT Answer Machine
BT Answer Machine Socket…Telephone Base station for Philips cordless
phones.

Adaptor Socket 3…Extension cable upstairs to PC
Extension Cable Socket...ADSL filter.
ADSL Filter socket A…Analogue Telephone
ADSL Filter Socket B (RJ11)…Thompson 330 Modem

Adapter Socket 4…Empty

I didn’t used to have any connection problems at all when I first
installed it (or maybe just once in a couple of months for a few
seconds at a time, hardly noticable) but over the months I have been
having more and more downtime due to either there being no Sync when PC
is started (ADSL light flashing) or losing Sync partway through a
session.

I have had the line tested by BT (via Tesco’s 50p/min help desk…what a
joke that thing is!!) 5 damn times now and it always comes back as OK.
BT refuses to talk to me about any potential broadband line problems
that I may have because I don’t subscribe to their broadband service
they just say that the line was OK at the time it was tested (thanks
for that BT, much appreciated...NOT).

Tescos are saying that it must be an intermittant line problem (well
Duhhhh).
BT are saying I must contact my ISP about the problem and wash their
hands of the matter even though it is their line and I am paying them
for it.

My set-up hasn’t changed (‘till recently) from the time this first
started, so with the same PC, Sky Box, phone set up and same filters (I
have recently swapped them all out in case I had one go bad, no
effect!!) I have gone from no problems at all to a major pain of a
problem and nothing at my end has changed. I recently rebuilt the
whole PC, the only original part being the case (even got a newer Modem
from Tesco with 2 more filters), and the problem is still as bad.

Pulling leads out of the 4 way adaptor gets things going for a short
while then I can plug the leads in one at a time leaving a 10 minute
wait between one lead and the next until I get them all back in and the
system will stay up for between 10 minutes or up to a couple of days…it
is random, then it starts again. Some times it will be OK for days on
end and other times the ADSL light is flashing all day and I can’t
connect.

It isn’t time of day dependant as this can and does happen at all hours
of the day and night.

Is it just as simple as some of the filters need removing or
replacing??

This is so frustrating.

Anyone got any ideas??

ps the stupid thing just lost Sync again as I was halfway through
posting this and it is the only device on the line, everything else is
unplugged, and it has been up for two and a half hours!!!!!!

--
Tech21
Old May 31st 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tech21

Tech21 Wrote:

ps the stupid thing just lost Sync again as I was halfway through
posting this and it is the only device on the line, everything else is
unplugged, and it has been up for two and a half hours!!!!!!

Just analysed what happened when I lost Sync (it was down for 30 min).

My son came in from playing outside and asked me could he use his PC,
this is situated down stairs and is a freestanding unit not connected
to any type of modem.
Around the time he powered it up (240V not battery) I lost Sync.
Tried plugging in the rest of the devices on the BT line and still had
flashing ADSL light.
Removed everything from the BT socket, shoved my old 330 modem attached
to a laptop in it and got Sync.
Plugged in extension to upstairs PC (which was still switched on) and
the laptop modem lost Sync and the upstairs PC had no Sync.
Disconnected the extension to upstairs and the laptop got Sync back.
Disconnected the laptop modem and reconnected the upstairs extension
lead and still had flashing ADSL on upstairs PC.
Two of my son’s friends called round for him and he closed down his PC,
I shouted down to him to switch it off at the wall socket, he did this
and half a minute later I got Sync back on my upstairs PC.
I appreciate that this is most likely a co-incidence but I am going to
post this before I try wandering round the house switching stuff on and
off.
Will post the results if anything to report.

This problem is just getting weirder and weirder.

--
Tech21
Old May 31st 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tech21

Tech21 Wrote:

I appreciate that this is most likely a co-incidence but I am going to
post this before I try wandering round the house switching stuff on and
off.
Will post the results if anything to report.

This problem is just getting weirder and weirder.

I didn't expect this to work.
Switched on sons PC (mains only to the unit) upstairs Sync OK.
Switched PC on and with in 20 secs flashing ADSL light upstairs PC.
Switched sons PC off (240V plug still switched on)...no Sync.
Switched off 240V socket...no Sync.
Pulled lead out of socket on 4-way BT splitter, counted to 10, put it
back and got Sync.

Tried it again, 17 seconds after switch on lost Sync.
Switched PC off (including 240V socket) got Sync back again this time
without pulling and re-inserting the cable.

Well....can someone enlighten me to just what is going on?????

--
Tech21
Old May 31st 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tech21

Tech21 Wrote:
I didn't expect this to work.

Right, more of the saga....here is the latest batch of weird things
with this problem.

My wife switched on my son’s PC to play solitaire while she was waiting
for some food to cook (@ 1830hrs) and within seconds the Sync went out
on my PC (no surprise there then) so I thought maybe a voltage drop if
the PSU is drawing way more than it should.

BUT..
I can turn on a 9kw shower on the same ring as my PC and there is no
effect.
3.1kw kettle on the down stairs ring, no effect.
500watt Halogen lamp on the light ring, no effect, so a voltage drop
looks to be out of the question.

There is nothing in the house (to my knowledge anyway) not even a
mobile phone that could be radiating RF or other such. I have taken the
batteries out of all the Philips handsets and all the mobiles and the
thing is still not seeing the Sync with my sons PC switched on.

I must stress that this “turning on another PC” thing appears to be
unique to today as they have both run happily together before (I think)
but with the other devices plugged into the BT 4-way.

Here is an interesting thing:
I have just tried my sons PC on all the down stairs sockets using a 40
foot 240V extension lead and on each socket within 15 seconds of
switching it on my PC loses Sync and within 15 seconds of it being
turned off at the mains the modem picks up the Sync.

However, I decided to try it plugged in upstairs using the extension
lead and guess what…….I didn’t loose Sync!!!!!!

I left my sons PC unplugged, reassembled all the Philips phones,
plugged the base station back in again (still got Sync), put all the
phones back on their chargers (still got Sync) plugged the line back in
to the BT 4-way and guess what….NO Sync.

I know this is starting to sound like an April Fools thing but I can
assure you this is really happening.

Can someone please tell me what the £*@# is going on here and how to
stop it???????

--
Tech21
Old May 31st 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:01:14 UTC, Tech21
wrote:

BT are saying I must contact my ISP about the problem and wash their
hands of the matter even though it is their line and I am paying them
for it.

They are correct. You are only paying BT for phone service. If that
works, they have fulfilled their contract with you.

BT have a contract with your ISP to provide ADSL on that line. It is
therefore only your ISP who can chase them. Unfortunately Tesco don't
seem very good at that, but YGWYPF.

My set-up hasnÆt changed (ætill recently) from the time this first
started, so with the same PC, Sky Box, phone set up and same filters (I
have recently swapped them all out in case I had one go bad, no
effect!!) I have gone from no problems at all to a major pain of a
problem and nothing at my end has changed. I recently rebuilt the
whole PC, the only original part being the case (even got a newer Modem
from Tesco with 2 more filters), and the problem is still as bad.

From what you say, I wonder about the PSU in your PC. I'm assuming this
is an ADSL modem plugged into the PC, or a USB one that takes its power
from the PSU. A falky PSU might cause problems and be sensitive to other
events such as your son's PC being turned on.

When you say 'the only original part is the case', do you mean 'and the
PSU in the case'?? If so, try changing it. Always good to have a spare
anyway.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old May 31st 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I didn=3Ft used to have any connection problems at all when I first
installed it (or maybe just once in a couple of months for a few
seconds at a time, hardly noticable) but over the months I have been
having more and more downtime due to either there being no Sync when PC
is started (ADSL light flashing) or losing Sync partway through a
session.

Try disconnecting one or two items of phone equipment (i.e. if the PC
upstairs has a modem, unplug it when not actually in use) - i`m no
expert, but I suspect you`re drawing too much from the incoming phone
line (add up all the REN numbers) hence its getting flaky.

The modem on the PC upstairs may well just be the straw that breaks the
camels' back once the PC gets switched on and it sits on the line ready
to dial.
Old May 31st 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tech21

Tech21 Wrote:
Can someone please tell me what the £*@# is going on here and how to
stop it???????

Just in case it may be of any relevance here is the PC Spec:

Foxconn (Winfast) 6150K8MA board
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core
Nvidia GeForce 6500, 256 DDR2, PCI-E
Maxtor 6L160PO, IDE
2GB Mem
Belkin USB 2.0 4 port card
NEC IEEE 1394 dard
2 Liton DVD/CD rewriters
Win2000 Pro…SP4
Tescos helpdesk did at one time tell me I might need a higher spec PC
to run broadband properly....yeah....right!

Had same problems with a totally different spec PC (the one my son now
uses) Abit NF7 board, AMD Athlon 2000+, GeForce 5600 AGP 128mb, 1GB
mem.

Have run separate disks on both PC’s loaded with :
Win98
Win XP Pro
Win 2000 Pro
All had the same problem.

Any help with this problem (ASAP) will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tech21
Old June 1st 06, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Tech21" wrote in message

House set-up is this : -

BT wall socket

SNIP

A lot of stuff plugged in, and probably above 4 REN.

I suggest that you reorganise thing a bit.

At the master socket split 2 (or 3) ways. Insert a filter in one way and
then split again to everything that does not need ADSL (phone, TAM, fax, $ky
box etc.). Take the other way to all the PC's and convert to RJ11. If
there is anywhere you need both ADSL & PSTN then put a filter at the far
end.

Old June 1st 06, 03:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"Tech21" wrote in message

Tech21 Wrote:
[...]

No, the more you add the clearer it becomes.

but I can
assure you this is really happening.

Can someone please tell me what the £*@# is going on here and how to
stop it???????

I think you have (at least) two ring main circuits feeding the 13A sockets
in the house, with an earth fault on the downstairs circuit. Microwaves &
PC's have a relatively high earth leakage component which I suspect is being
superimposed on the circuit i.e. not being cleared as a result of the
suspected earth fault. On top of which, if this theory is right, the leakage
current must be being earthed at some point by your phone line, effectively
presenting a short-circuit to the modem & thereby causing loss of sync.

You can test this by running the PC's & the microwave all at the same time
on the upstairs circuit & see whether you still lose sync.

This is certainly an interesting one

Joe Lee

Tech21