Static IP or not?

Old June 1st 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

Default Static IP or not?

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 11:24:20 GMT, "Charles Lindsey"
wrote:

I am on the point of signing up with Newnet, and it seems I have the
choice of a static or dynamic IP. Any views on the relative merits?

CLearly, static is more convenient if I am away and want to log in to my
home machine.

Or just about anything involving vpns.

And it would mean my email could be delivered promptly
without the trouble of polling for it (e.g. using ODMR).

Assuming you want the hassle of running your own MTA and handling incoming
spam congesting other traffic.

Personally I'd take a cron job running every 15-20 mins over that anyday.

But dynamic should be more secure (assuming I regularly exchanged it for a
new one),

It's not.

Malcontents will scan the entire cidr blocks looking for vulnerabilties.

Address changes will not hide vulnerabilties.

so less need for firewalling (being on a Sparc Solaris system I
am already in a safer situation that your usual Wintel guy, and closing
off a few ports and maybe using ipfilter would hopefully be enough).

I would recommend ipf at the very least, with a default block policy.

greg

--
If you want venality, if you want ignorance, if you want drunkenness,
and facility for being intimidated; or if, on the other hand, you