Unusual Problem

Old June 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Unusual Problem

Hi,

Can anyone suggest what to do with my unusual broadband problem. I'm
with Pipex, but have a BT line, and I can only get a connection when
I'm using the phone. It doesn't matter who I call (although its often a
BT 0800 sales number) but as soon as I hang up, the connection dies.

It used to be I could never get a connection after having a slowly
deteriorating connection, but then a BT engineer came out and did some
repairs leaving me with this daft situation, which, incidentally, works
with different modems, computers, operating systems and phones!

Any suggestions what to do? I can't take more time off work to get
another incompetent engineer out, so I need help...

Stuart

Old June 2nd 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Jun 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

You've got a HR connection

for those not working in comms, I think that's a High Resistance connection
Old June 2nd 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Karla Parussel

pete devlin wrote:

Replace your splitter (filter).

Hi! I share the house with Anorthosite. Thanks for your help in advance
everyone.

Unfortunately we have already tried different splitters. We have tried
brand new ones, different unused ones, even bought a new modem for it.
We've tried different operating systems, three different computers,
different modem drivers and different modems, different lines,
different splitters, different telephone sockets, with and without
phones connected to them. In fact we've tried everything.

We have had this problem on and off since moving into the house in
October. At first the connection was unreliable and kept chucking us
off. Sometimes we would lose it for a week at a time. I managed to get
a BT engineer round by not admitting initially that it was a broadband
problem. We do also have a noisy line though. Unfortunately when he
came round it wasn't playing up and he couldn't find any problem in the
house whatsoever. He said some connections outside might give us some
trouble later but we wriggled them and they didn't give any problem. He
put the connection problem down to the fact that they had been working
on the exchange at the time. This was December.

The connection got worse and we decided to change from Virgin to Pipex.
This didn't help. Two months ago we finally lost the connection
completely. We took time off work to let an engineer come round and fix
it. He said that the problem was not in the house and he had some work
to do outside. Because of a GP appointment (fiendishly difficult to get
in this country) Anorthosite went out and when he came back the
engineer was gone and we found we could only log on when the telephone
is off the hook (before it gets disconnected a few minutes later) or we
are on the phone to someone. Pipex put it down to us being on a 2mb
service when the line can only handle 1mb, but downgrading us didn't
help either.

Now interestingly enough we came back once after work to find that we
had a perfect internet connection. This lasted for almost 24 hours with
no problem at all, but then the next day it dissappeared again. This to
us suggests that the problem is not in the house.

We've had no internet connection for months now and we've had enough.
If we don't get this fixed soon we'll go back to dial-up as it will be
more reliable. Or we might just do without telephones we're so sick of
the situation. And Pipex have only just admitted after several months
that we are unable to get an engineer to visit us on a Saturday even
though they strung us along saying they would try for several weeks.
You can see why we don't want to take more time off work.

Now the high resistance connection sounds interesting. Could we find an
amplifier to plug inbetween our adsl modem and wall socket to boost the
signal?

Karla Parussel

Old June 2nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Karla Parussel wrote:
pete devlin wrote:

[...]

No such animal exists. As for an HR connection, they are notoriously
difficult to find as all the test desks & equipment can't see them,
there are some methods which supposedly work but they aren't anywhere
near 50% perfect....

As for weekend ADSL apointments, they are possible but are few & far
between..

If it is a line problem changing your ISP, even to a LLU provider,
will not make any difference to it, what it may do is get you a
customer service department who actually want to keep your business &
not loose it.

Lastly if you do have a noisey line keep on reporting it (to BT), the
noise will be the thing which is probably knocking your ADSL out off
synch. If you don't have any real problem with your voice calls don't
raise the fault to BT raise it with your ISP only. It's up to them to
get a Openreach ADSL trained engineer to site to fix the problem,
making sure of course that the problem still exist when tested from
the test socket on your NTE5 as that is the furthest point you will
get it fixed for free, anything after that is chargable

Old June 2nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Now the high resistance connection sounds interesting. Could we
find an amplifier to plug inbetween our adsl modem and wall socket
to boost the signal?

No such animal exists. As for an HR connection, they are notoriously
difficult to find as all the test desks & equipment can't see them,
there are some methods which supposedly work but they aren't anywhere
near 50% perfect....

Blotto box?

/me hunts around for a spare mains lead...

xF,

....Nick
Old June 2nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 2-Jun-2006, "Karla Parussel" wrote:

We do also have a noisy line though. Unfortunately when he
came round it wasn't playing up and he couldn't find any problem in the
house whatsoever.

Report as a noisy line, when it is at its worst the faults operator
should be able to hear it as well.
Engineers have a limited amount of time they can spend on a call,
so if the cause is not readily apparent (and it could be an
underground fault) they move on. Leaving it to the next guy getting the
short straw to have a go.
Does it correlate with weather?
If it is off a pole it is commonly the drop-wire from pole to house,
or a bad connection at the poles junction box. Once the wind
has fractured the wire, or created a bad connection, it will come and go.
Wet weather brings water related problems, cross talk, noisy
connections etc. It may take weeks to come good again, it takes
a long spell of hot dry weather. Water in the cable often causes your
phone ringer to ping intermittently, but not ring.
Persist in reporting it so as to escalate the problem.
Ask for another exchange pair. It that is still noisy, then it
might be between the nearest cabinet and you.
If well heeled get a second line, you can later discontinue it,
or discontinue the noisy one.