Netgear DG834 autosensing

Old June 1st 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default Netgear DG834 autosensing

I'm considering getting a DG834, initially for LAN routeing only, but
later to use for ADSL also.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to disable autosensing on a given
local LAN port so I can force a 10Mb/s connection to a given PC even if
that PC was capable of a 100Mb/s connection ?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend how I might achieve this with other
equipment, without modifying the target PC ?

Old June 1st 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Isitsafe

Don't think you can configure each port.
Why not pick up an old hub that only supports 10Mb/s and chain them?

Old June 1st 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

In article , Isitsafe
writes
Don't think you can configure each port.
Why not pick up an old hub that only supports 10Mb/s and chain them?

Thanks. I thought of that, but didn't think I'd find anyone selling a
10Mb/s only hub/switch, unless I go for second-hand stuff...

Old June 2nd 06, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Bob wrote:
I'm considering getting a DG834, initially for LAN routeing only, but
later to use for ADSL also.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to disable autosensing on a given
local LAN port so I can force a 10Mb/s connection to a given PC even
if that PC was capable of a 100Mb/s connection ?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend how I might achieve this with
other equipment, without modifying the target PC ?

Just curious, why can't you set the target PC to 10Mb/s?

Old June 2nd 06, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Bob" wrote in message

In article ,
Isitsafe writes
Don't think you can configure each port.
Why not pick up an old hub that only supports 10Mb/s
and chain them?

Thanks. I thought of that, but didn't think I'd find
anyone selling a 10Mb/s only hub/switch, unless I go for
second-hand stuff...

I think I've got an old 8-port hub lying around somewhere if you want
it..?

Curious as to why you want to do this, also why you don't want to modify
the PC config, which is easy enough.

Ivor

Old June 2nd 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:27:47 -0400, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:47:29 +0100, Bob wrote:
I do not see how you can get any "routing" without DSL; there is no other
WAN port. You can get the DG834 to perform as a LAN hub plus wireless
Access Point. It will also act as a DHCP server except it will issue a
worthless gateway setting to itself and it is likely to issue worthless
DNS settings unless you take care to manually set those.

You will never get a DG834 to work as a wireless access point...it
doesn't have wireless. It should work just fine as a dumb switch
however regardless of the connection/non-connection of the ADSL side.
Old June 2nd 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

In article , Steve Pearce
* writes
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:47:29 +0100, Bob wrote:
I do not see how you can get any "routing" without DSL; there is no other
WAN port. You can get the DG834 to perform as a LAN hub plus wireless
Access Point. It will also act as a DHCP server except it will issue a
worthless gateway setting to itself and it is likely to issue worthless
DNS settings unless you take care to manually set those.

You will never get a DG834 to work as a wireless access point...it
doesn't have wireless. It should work just fine as a dumb switch
however regardless of the connection/non-connection of the ADSL side.

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought I wanted; local wired LAN routeing
(with DHCP server), until I later configure it to use ADSL also.

But I hadn't figured for the switch being quite so "dumb" and a bit more
investigation reveals that I probably need a VLAN or smart switch (or
both), and separate ADSL modem, and maybe a separate means of forcing
10Base-T (ok, I was probably hoping for a bit much to get everything I
need in one box!).

I'll probably end up with a DG834 plus "something else"...
Old June 2nd 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Bob" wrote in message

I'm considering getting a DG834, initially for LAN routeing only, but
later to use for ADSL also.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to disable autosensing on a given
local LAN port so I can force a 10Mb/s connection to a given PC even if
that PC was capable of a 100Mb/s connection ?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend how I might achieve this with other
equipment, without modifying the target PC ?

Put a 10baseT hub in line. A better way would be to change the target PC to
10Mb/s. Is there any reason why you don't want to change the PC config?