VoIPCheap Query

Old June 1st 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iceman

Default VoIPCheap Query

Hi forum.
I am totally new to VoIP and SIP and need to ask some questions.
I have an account with voipcheap.co.uk and I have been using their PC
software for a few weeks now.
I wanted to be able to make and receive calls all the time without my PC
switched on so I replaced my USB modem with a Broadband router and
bought myself a SIP phone - its a Safecom SDSIP-3000.
I configured the phone with my voipcheap details, username, password,
domain voipcheap.com, proxy server sip.voipcheap.com.
I can make calls to normal phone numbers okay (voip-out) and I can
receive calls from normal phones via my voipcheap allocated voip-in
number. All that works okay.
But how the hell do I make voip to voip calls?
The voipcheap PC software enables you to make calls to other voipcheap
users without touching the PSTN - excellent sound quality because its
not being constrained by the audio bandwidth of the PSTN.
Lets say for the sake of this conversation my friend's voipcheap
username is "wibble".
Using the PC software I can call wibble using my speakers and microphone.
I have tried putting wibble into my SIP phone's phonebook.
I have also tried " and "
but none of these works.
(I did tell you Im new to voip and SIP - assume I know nothing!)
Perhaps SIP only supports phone-number based calling? I dont know.
How do I call another voipcheap user without using the PSTN?
If I get them to apply for a voip-in number from voipcheap and I call
that number using my SIP phone, can I assume the voipcheap SIP server is
clever enough to know its the number of another voipcheap user and route
it straight to them without going anywhere near the PSTN?

Can anyone validate my assumptions, answer my questions, or teach me all
I need to know about voip and SIP?
Old June 1st 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
My Name

I assume you can load your list of contacts for voip to voip calls on
your phone. This is so for some othe systems. But first you have to
use your pc to get them into your favourites list.
Old June 1st 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iceman

My Name wrote:
I assume you can load your list of contacts for voip to voip calls on
your phone. This is so for some othe systems. But first you have to
use your pc to get them into your favourites list.

I use my PC web browser to "log onto" the phone's IP address, admin and
password, and then edit the phone's phonebook.

Each phonebook entry is a number, eg 1, a name eg fred, and a phone
number which is freeform text.
It could be 00441458833666, or it could be [email protected]

The manual that came with the phone is not that great a read.
One gets the impression it was written by someone who's first language
is not English!
I suspect some software has translated it from its native language to
English via Yiddish, irdu and Double Dutch, and it has enjoyed many
exciting adventures along the way!

The manual talks about phone numbers being normal type eg
00441458833666, or [email protected] eg because
the phone can handle up to 3 voip provider accounts.
It also says you can do straight peer to peer by entering an IP address.
The fourth thing it says you can do is DDNS whatever that is.

Ive tried posting these questions at voipcheap's website but they never
never answer your mail. Downright rude if you ask me.
Old June 2nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Iceman popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|Hi forum.
|I am totally new to VoIP and SIP and need to ask some questions.
|I have an account with voipcheap.co.uk and I have been using their PC
|software for a few weeks now.
|I wanted to be able to make and receive calls all the time without my PC
|switched on so I replaced my USB modem with a Broadband router and
|bought myself a SIP phone - its a Safecom SDSIP-3000.
|I configured the phone with my voipcheap details, username, password,
|domain voipcheap.com, proxy server sip.voipcheap.com.
|I can make calls to normal phone numbers okay (voip-out) and I can
|receive calls from normal phones via my voipcheap allocated voip-in
|number. All that works okay.
|But how the hell do I make voip to voip calls?
|The voipcheap PC software enables you to make calls to other voipcheap
|users without touching the PSTN - excellent sound quality because its
|not being constrained by the audio bandwidth of the PSTN.
|Lets say for the sake of this conversation my friend's voipcheap
|username is "wibble".
|Using the PC software I can call wibble using my speakers and microphone.
|I have tried putting wibble into my SIP phone's phonebook.
|I have also tried " and "
|but none of these works.
|(I did tell you Im new to voip and SIP - assume I know nothing!)
|Perhaps SIP only supports phone-number based calling? I dont know.
|How do I call another voipcheap user without using the PSTN?
|If I get them to apply for a voip-in number from voipcheap and I call
|that number using my SIP phone, can I assume the voipcheap SIP server is
|clever enough to know its the number of another voipcheap user and route
|it straight to them without going anywhere near the PSTN?
|
|Can anyone validate my assumptions, answer my questions, or teach me all
|I need to know about voip and SIP?

Just one hint: if you use your VoIP provider to call users on the same
VoIP provider, it doesn't matter if you use their "alias" or VoIP
number, or the associated PSTN number.
The VoIP provider "knows" that the PSTN number you are using is one of
its numbers, and the call is set up internally in the same provider
network, through VoIP and - as always - is totally free.
VoIP wants to be a replacement for the old PSTN network, and all is
engineered to be as much similar to normal PSTN systems as possible -
then using only numbers to call someone.

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
Old June 2nd 06, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Iceman" wrote in message

Hi forum.

Erm.. this is a newsgroup not a forum but never mind ;-)

I am totally new to VoIP and SIP and need to ask some
questions. I have an account with voipcheap.co.uk and I have been
using their PC software for a few weeks now.
I wanted to be able to make and receive calls all the
time without my PC switched on so I replaced my USB modem
with a Broadband router and bought myself a SIP phone -
its a Safecom SDSIP-3000. I configured the phone with my voipcheap
details,
username, password, domain voipcheap.com, proxy server
sip.voipcheap.com. I can make calls to normal phone numbers okay
(voip-out)
and I can receive calls from normal phones via my
voipcheap allocated voip-in number. All that works okay.
But how the hell do I make voip to voip calls?

If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP provider as you or is
with a provider with whom yours has a peering agreement, then the call is
free whether you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.

The voipcheap PC software enables you to make calls to
other voipcheap users without touching the PSTN -
excellent sound quality because its not being constrained
by the audio bandwidth of the PSTN. Lets say for the sake of this
conversation my friend's
voipcheap username is "wibble".
Using the PC software I can call wibble using my speakers
and microphone. I have tried putting wibble into my SIP
phone's phonebook. I have also tried " and
" but none of these works.
(I did tell you Im new to voip and SIP - assume I know
nothing!)

Does the voipcheap site not give you any of this information..? I do not
use them so know little about them, but I would have thought they would
have had at least minimal setup information on their site..?

Perhaps SIP only supports phone-number based calling? I
dont know.

No, if your equipment supports it you can call using the full SIP address;
I use Sipgate, so if you want to call me, assuming my address is
you would call that. Try it, it's a real number and
routes to my speaking clock..! It can also be reached on the phone number
020 7043 1320, try both and see if the phone number gets charged for (no
way of telling you otherwise, sorry..!)

How do I call another voipcheap user without using the
PSTN?

Using a PSTN number does not automatically mean the call is routed over
the PSTN, get that idea out of your head. It may end up being delivered
over PSTN if there is no peering agreement between providers, but it
doesn't have to be.

If I get them to apply for a voip-in number from
voipcheap and I call that number using my SIP phone, can
I assume the voipcheap SIP server is clever enough to
know its the number of another voipcheap user and route
it straight to them without going anywhere near the PSTN?

As I said above, using a PSTN number does NOT mean the call is being
routed that way. If the person you are calling is on the same system or is
available on a peering agreement, then it will be a free call, which is
the important bit..!

Can anyone validate my assumptions, answer my questions,
or teach me all I need to know about voip and SIP?

www.voxilla.com is a good place to start, there are others but that site
is a good one.

Ivor

Old June 2nd 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
linker3000

Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how much
did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.

Ta

L3K
Old June 3rd 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iceman

linker3000 wrote:
Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how much
did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.

Ta

L3K

No probs!
I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
It came to 46.40 total.

Mike
Old June 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Iceman used his keyboard to write :
linker3000 wrote:
Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how much
did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.

Ta

L3K

No probs!
I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
It came to 46.40 total.

Mike

Have they stopped selling them? Or am I missing something?

Old June 3rd 06, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
linker3000

Iceman wrote:
linker3000 wrote:
Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how
much did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.

Ta

L3K

No probs!
I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
It came to 46.40 total.

Mike

Thanks - I was thinking of using qtds - I am also hanging out for the
4000 to be available but the ship date from Safecom keeps slipping. I'm
using 3 of the 5000s at the mo and have just ordered 10 more.
Old June 3rd 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Iceman

linker3000 wrote:
Iceman wrote:
linker3000 wrote:
Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how
much did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.

Ta

L3K

No probs!
I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
It came to 46.40 total.

Mike

Thanks - I was thinking of using qtds - I am also hanging out for the
4000 to be available but the ship date from Safecom keeps slipping. I'm
using 3 of the 5000s at the mo and have just ordered 10 more.

Yup I wanted a 4000 too but it sounds like it might be new and there's
no sign of first shipping yet.

So, Is anyone going to tell me how to call somebody elses VoIPCheap from
my SIP phone?

I think I'm going to assume for now that phone numbers are the only
option and usernames are not supported. So I can only talk to people who
have a voip-in number then...