Static IP or not?

Old June 2nd 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

Default Static IP or not?

"Charles Lindsey" wrote in message
I am on the point of signing up with Newnet, and it seems I have the
choice of a static or dynamic IP. Any views on the relative merits?

Static every time - don't even need to think about it.

CLearly, static is more convenient if I am away and want to log in to my
home machine. And it would mean my email could be delivered promptly
without the trouble of polling for it (e.g. using ODMR).

But dynamic should be more secure (assuming I regularly exchanged it for a
new one), so less need for firewalling (being on a Sparc Solaris system I
am already in a safer situation that your usual Wintel guy, and closing
off a few ports and maybe using ipfilter would hopefully be enough).

It's no more secure to have a dynamic IP.

Old June 2nd 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Alastair" wrote in message

It's no more secure to have a dynamic IP.

Its a lot easier to get back on forums, etc. when you have been banned with
a dynamic IP.

Old June 2nd 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"[email protected]" wrote in message
. uk...

"Alastair" wrote in message

It's no more secure to have a dynamic IP.

Its a lot easier to get back on forums, etc. when you have been banned
with a dynamic IP.

Use a static and don't get banned! The next dynamic you get may have been
banned for reasons nothing to do with you.

Old June 2nd 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

Its a lot easier to get back on forums, etc. when you have been banned with
a dynamic IP.

The answer to that is in your own hands. Dont get banned.

Old June 4th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message ,
"[email protected]" writes

"Alastair" wrote in message
. ..

It's no more secure to have a dynamic IP.

Its a lot easier to get back on forums, etc. when you have been banned with
a dynamic IP.

Can't resist........If you are a compete tosser or a spammer then
dynamic is best then! Apart from that an IP check is trivial to get
around.
--
Pete Devlin
"And don't forget my dog, fixed and consequent"