ADSL timeout problem ? - webpage not found....

Old June 2nd 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

Default ADSL timeout problem ? - webpage not found....

Hi All

A minor niggle (compared to the complete loss of Broadband thatks to
PlusNet's tinkering last week..)

To get the connection back I had to default the Safecom router back to
factory settings. Since then, applications that access the web
(firefox, ie, Agent, mailwasher) tend to return an error message
indicating that they can't find the web - maybe 2 or 3 times out of
ten.

The error message comes back as soon as 'return' is hit on the browser
- but clicking 'try again' in Firefox usually brings up the missing
page. Almost as if the browser's not giving the Router long enough to
get a response...

Wonder if there's a setting for this somewhere in the bowels of WinXP
Home ? - or maybe it's a router thing. Nervous to fiddle with too much
in case I upset the delicate balance that is PlusNet ADSL !

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old June 2nd 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

To get the connection back I had to default the Safecom router back
to factory settings. Since then, applications that access the web
(firefox, ie, Agent, mailwasher) tend to return an error message
indicating that they can't find the web - maybe 2 or 3 times out of
ten.

*Possibly* your DNS settings are sub-optimal, and it can't look up the
name in time. By the time you try again, the DNS lookup has been done
and you get immediate success. Seen that many a time.

Check your provider's recommendations for DNS servers, and either
configure them in your PC directly, or in your router's DHCP server,
whichever is more appropriate for you.

This is only a hunch - it might well be something else. But I'd say
it's worth a try.

Wonder if there's a setting for this somewhere in the bowels of
WinXP Home ?

Depends whether you set up the IP configuration explicitly, or told it
to use DHCP (get the IP and DNS settings automatically, I mean).

- or maybe it's a router thing. Nervous to fiddle with too much
in case I upset the delicate balance that is PlusNet ADSL !

The ADSL is presumably BT's. Plusnet only gets involved after you've
got that part working.

Things get easier as you develop a better mental picture of which part
does what, so that you don't waste time trying to fix parts that
aren't broken.
Old June 2nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

HI Both

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:17:35 +0100, jannerboy
wrote:

Alan J. Flavell Wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote

*Possibly* your DNS settings are sub-optimal, and it can't look up the

name in time. By the time you try again, the DNS lookup has been done

and you get immediate success. Seen that many a time.

yes, i agree
most ISPs have 2 DNS servers (a & b)
each request elicits a response from either a) or b) on a random basis
if one of the servers is flakey, then 50% of the requests will fail.
this could be the cause of the symptons experienced.

ISPs usually assign the DNS sever IP addresses dynamically.
but there is an option on most routers to enter them manually (usually
on the 'basic settings' page.
determine which is the 'good' IP address, and enter that manually.
web pages, etc. should then load more successfully.

Hmm - didn't know that you had to set that bit up manually g

My router only seems to have one 'slot' for DNS - but plugged in
Plusnet's recommended 212.159.13.49 - and on the basis of a short test
it seems to be working fine ! Many thanks !

I suppose that when I move to Ireland (soon!) and get a new ISP I'll
need to find out what their primary DNS is and plug that in instead ??

Thanks again
Old June 2nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Hmm - didn't know that you had to set that bit up manually g

You don't *have* to, but it sometimes helps, as you've found.

ADSL routers typically offer to relay DNS requests automatically, so
you'd configure the router's DHCP table to say that the DNS server was
itself (192.168.1.1 - or whichever your own router uses at its own
address). Then you'd configure the hosts to get the DNS automatically
(i.e to get whatever the DHCP lookup tells them to use).

And this works fairly well, but sometimes it goes crabby. Then, a bit
of manual tweaking can help...

My router only seems to have one 'slot' for DNS - but plugged in
Plusnet's recommended 212.159.13.49

Yup, that should be fair enough. If it gets crabby, change 49 to 50.
And there's a third address in their list...

There's basically two other options, with increasing levels of
nuisance for the user (especially if you move around, e.g with a
laptop that you use in different places):

- configure the router to know some good DNS server(s) explicitly -
mine actually has slots for two - you say yours only has one.

- configure the individual hosts explicitly to know the address(es)
of suitable DNS servers, instead of getting them automatically.

I suppose that when I move to Ireland (soon!) and get a new ISP I'll
need to find out what their primary DNS is and plug that in instead
??

Yup.

all the best
Old June 2nd 06, 08:17 PM
jannerboy's Avatar
jannerboy jannerboy is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. Flavell
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Adrian Brentnall wrote

*Possibly* your DNS settings are sub-optimal, and it can't look up the
name in time. By the time you try again, the DNS lookup has been done
and you get immediate success. Seen that many a time.
yes, i agree
most ISPs have 2 DNS servers (a & b)
each request elicits a response from either a) or b) on a random basis
if one of the servers is flakey, then 50% of the requests will fail.
this could be the cause of the symptons experienced.

ISPs usually assign the DNS sever IP addresses dynamically.
but there is an option on most routers to enter them manually (usually on the 'basic settings' page.
determine which is the 'good' IP address, and enter that manually.
web pages, etc. should then load more successfully.

[/quote]
Old June 2nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Brentnall

HI Alan

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:06:15 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clearing all that up - possibly more information than I
need or can comprehend g - but interesting all the same g

Seems to be running fine now (fingers crossed !)