Technical Question out of Curiosity

Old June 2nd 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Barron

Default Technical Question out of Curiosity

I am with Metronet (sob) and a while back to oversome some problems
PlusNet moved our connections from the old MN structure to the PN
structure and I was wondering what they actually did. I have studied
the ADSLG description of how DSL works and from that I think I
understand that I have a virtual circuit, which is kind of permanant,
from my home via my phone line to a DSLAM at the exchange and then via
BT's ATM network to the LNS that used to be in Harrow or London I think
for old MN. Is this right or complete rubbish?

So when they move me to PN the name of the first router in a tracert
changed from an MN one to a PN one. Assuming all the PN LNSs are in
Sheffield or where ever how did my VC get moved there without my having
to change anything.

Alternatively am I still connected to the same LNS and all the data has
been shipped to PN network from the ethernet side? I am assuming that
the LNS shows up as the first hop of course and that could be my
mistake.

Old June 2nd 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Andy Barron" wrote in
oups.com:

Assuming all the PN LNSs are in
Sheffield or where ever how did my VC get moved there without my having
to change anything.

As far as I am aware, the PlusNet/BT gateways are in one of several
buildings in London. I'm not entirely sure where this currently lies but
they used to be in either Telehouse North or Telehouse East.
The benefit of this is the gateways are situated in these major peering
points so your traffic doesn't have to go to Sheffield and then down to
the peering point.

As Jim said, what has happened is BT have basically rerouted your
traffic. Akin to changing the route a bus takes between two stops. It can
get there several ways, but seen as noone has to get on/off along that
path it doesn't cause any problems...(I hate analogies, so don't try to
make more out of it than there is )

--
Colin