One LAN, Two WAN's

Old June 2nd 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

Default One LAN, Two WAN's

I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
server, not that that matters)

I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.

I currently have one setup on a router with one IP, and the other on another
router with another IP (Obviously!)

If I want to switch over to one or the other connection, I have to change
the default gateway on the PC's (or change the IP of the routers, if I want
all PC's to use one connection for some reason (Like the "normal" one going
down)

I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but I
would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a particular
IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this primary line
goes down, it falls over to the second line.

...and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a Firebrick is
out! :-)

Thanks for any pointers!

Sparks..

Old June 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Sparks wrote:
I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
server, not that that matters)

I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.

I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but I
would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a particular
IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this primary line
goes down, it falls over to the second line.

..and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a Firebrick is
out! :-)

Cheap 2nd hand PC running your favourite unix-lookalike? Pick from linux
(various flavours), Free- Open- or Net-BSD; probably others. Estimated
cost around 50 for hardware (or scrounge one from the junkheap), 0 for
software.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old June 2nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Sparks" wrote in message
I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
server, not that that matters)

I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.

I currently have one setup on a router with one IP, and the other on
another router with another IP (Obviously!)

If I want to switch over to one or the other connection, I have to change
the default gateway on the PC's (or change the IP of the routers, if I
want all PC's to use one connection for some reason (Like the "normal" one
going down)

I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but
I would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a
particular IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this
primary line goes down, it falls over to the second line.

Have a look at the following thread, especially the third post:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....se_frm/thread/
c51a369747f4b6be/3b48626e8d0b43ac?#3b48626e8d0b43ac

(Shortened URL: http://tinyurl.com/qfzvq)

Your requirement for "explicit rules" just means more complex routes (IP
routing is determined by destination address), but it seems you should be
able to do what you want with no additional hardware.

Alex

Old June 2nd 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

"Sparks" wrote:

..and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a Firebrick is
out! :-)

Check up on the Edimax BR-6524K dual wan router. Might not meet all your
needs, of course, in which case, sorry.

I've not used this unit, because setting the default gateway to the main
router and using "ROUTE ADD" commands to cause specific traffic to go via
the second router has been adequate for my needs. No wish to run servers,
they're better off in a remote data centre where they get 24 x 365 speedy
connection compared with any limited uplink connection from home/office.

Old June 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

Edimax BR6524K

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/68237...x-br6524k.html

http://www.edimax.com/html/english/p...s/BR-6524k.htm

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/englis...b-download.htm

Old June 3rd 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sparks

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
Edimax BR6524K

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/68237...x-br6524k.html

http://www.edimax.com/html/english/p...s/BR-6524k.htm

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/englis...b-download.htm

Great, looks just the ticket!

Cant seem to find someone in the UK that wants to sell me one though!
I will email them...

Thanks :-)