One LAN & Two WAN's

Old June 2nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

Default One LAN & Two WAN's

I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
server, not that that matters)

I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.

I currently have one setup on a router with one IP, and the other on another
router with another IP (Obviously!)

If I want to switch over to one or the other connection, I have to change
the default gateway on the PC's (or change the IP of the routers, if I want
all PC's to use one connection for some reason (Like the "normal" one going
down)

I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but I
would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a particular
IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this primary line
goes down, it falls over to the second line.

...and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a Firebrick is
out! :-)

Thanks for any pointers!

Sparks..

Old June 2nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Isitsafe

"Sparks" wrote in message
|I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
| server, not that that matters)
|
| I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.
|
| I currently have one setup on a router with one IP, and the other on
another
| router with another IP (Obviously!)
|
| If I want to switch over to one or the other connection, I have to change
| the default gateway on the PC's (or change the IP of the routers, if I
want
| all PC's to use one connection for some reason (Like the "normal" one
going
| down)
|
| I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but
| would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a
particular
| IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this primary line
| goes down, it falls over to the second line.
|
| ..and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a Firebrick is
| out! :-)
|
| Thanks for any pointers!
|
| Sparks..

Can't you do it by setting up alternate configuration in I/P settings.?

Old June 2nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

www.freesco.com

--
Paul Cummins

**FREE** mobile phones, with FREE line rental
http://www.gstgroup.co.uk/
Old June 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:32:26 UTC, "Sparks" wrote:

I have a home network consisting of 6 PC's (One is on 24/7, used as a file
server, not that that matters)

I have two broadband connections, one DSL and one cable.

I currently have one setup on a router with one IP, and the other on another
router with another IP (Obviously!)

If I want to switch over to one or the other connection, I have to change
the default gateway on the PC's (or change the IP of the routers, if I want
all PC's to use one connection for some reason (Like the "normal" one going
down)

I would like a device that will route all traffic to one of the lines (but I
would like to be able to set explicit rules, so all traffic to a particular
IP range will always go out via a set route.) but when this primary line
goes down, it falls over to the second line.

Now is your chance to have a proper firewall! Get an old PC, put three
network cards in it, and connect each router to one of the cards and
your network to the third.

Set all the PCs on the network to use this PC as their default route.

Set the default route in the 'new' PC to whichever connection you want
to use at the time.

As a bonus, add filtering etc. in that PC, to get firewall
functionality. Use whatever operating system you feel comfortable with
(in my case, after 30 years, it's FreeBSD).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old June 2nd 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
(Sparks) wrote:

..and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a
Firebrick is
out! :-)

www.freesco.com

--
Paul Cummins

**FREE** mobile phones, with FREE line rental
http://www.gstgroup.co.uk/

Not quite sure how that helps!?!

Sparks...

Old June 2nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Sparks wrote:
[...]

How about ~120? (~150 with wireless capability as well!)

Pick up a PC-Engines WRAP.1E-2, which comes with 3 LAN cards and 1
miniPCI card (for the wireless) -- www.pcengines.ch -- + a 16MB CF card.

Install AspisOS on the flash card, connect two of the three LAN
interfaces to your current routers, and the third to a switch, which all
the rest of your computers are connected to.

You can then configure your new router with a variety of modules - for
instance, you can run BIND on it if you want . It also comes with
Quagga and Bird, two routing daemons which will be able to do what you
want (possibly in conjunction with a cron job).

I'm using a WRAP board + AspisOS at the moment, and it works a treat.
With 128MB of RAM and a 233MHz. processor, it can handle a lot of things.

There's also IPv6 support (if you build your own image), which is
working nicely for me.

/me wishes PC-Engines and AspisOS had referral codes...

xF,

....Nick
Old June 3rd 06, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

www.freesco.co.uk perhaps?
Old June 3rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Nicholas Thomas wrote:

[...]

Ooh. I wonder... if one was to use a CF hard drive in there, it ought to be
useful as a mail server too... I guess that a flash CF card would soon wear
out if used for that job. Or, I suppose a miniPCI to ATA card...
Hmm... thanks for the pointer!

dom.

Old June 3rd 06, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:17:14 +0100, Colin Forrester
wrote:

Sparks wrote:

..and I want to spend as little as possible, so 400+ for a
Firebrick is
out! :-)
www.freesco.com

--
Paul Cummins

**FREE** mobile phones, with FREE line rental
http://www.gstgroup.co.uk/

Not quite sure how that helps!?!

www.freesco.co.uk perhaps?

redirecting to www.fresco.info

Ok, it _might_ be a daft question....
Do I need crossover cables if I want to use a Freesco box as a router?

Lorenz

[L.]