Anyone not on MaxDSL suffering problems because of it?

Old June 2nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

Default Anyone not on MaxDSL suffering problems because of it?

I cant get much more than 2MB on my line with the supposed MaxDSL it seems
.... So I've been pretty wise to stick with my old Zen totally unlimited 1MB
account I reckon.

Fair play to Zen for letting us few stay there, my old ISP's Plusnet and
Pipex would have never done that.

However, things seem to have slowed down speed wise since my towns exchange
was MaxdDSL enabled end of March, Contention perhaps? But more importantly I
now get disconnected a lot more regularly since my exchange was MaxDSL'd. I
haven't actually called Zen about this yet, but have compared notes with
friends in the same town on the same exchange. None of us (on differing
ISP's) had so many disconnections before, but we all agree .. since MaxDSL
inception here, we can have as many as 3 or 4 disconnects a day , I
personally cant go a day now without at least one disconnection.

Its taken a while for this trend to sink in here, but the evidence seems
irrefutable. MaxDSL has had a knock on side effect for people that don't
want this flaky technology, if your exchange is Max DSL enabled then its
downhill IMHO.

Maybe its just our exchange, but has anyone else who chooses to stay on
legacy ADSL 1MB and 2MB accounts, irrespective of ISP noticed a downturn in
performance and connectivity since they had their exchange Max enabled?

I honestly thought it was my hardware at first, so replaced my old PCI ADSL
modem with a good Netgear router, at first it seemed my problems were solved
.... until I looked at the Router logs, the Router was just reconnecting
again each time the connection dropped.

So Folks, what are your experiences with Max? especially like to hear from
those that have Max exchange enabled but not actually on Max for one reason
or another.

Cheers.

Colin

Old June 3rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blackmesa8

"Colin" wrote in message
[...]

I've notice this too and im not even on maxdsl.
Im currently on Zen legacy 1mbit product used to be rock solid
maybe had 1 or 2 disconnects a month max.
Now it disconnects almost everyday, however speed is still perfectly solid
124k/s or so and pings aint changed.
I hope the disconnects will stop tho.
So its not only maxdsl users suffering lol

Blackmesa8

Old June 3rd 06, 04:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 2 Jun 2006, "Colin" wrote:

Fair play to Zen for letting us few stay there, my old ISP's Plusnet and
Pipex would have never done that.

No idea about Pipex, but Plusnet listened to users and provided an opt-out
against people having DSL Max enabled or moving to LLU, and added a queue
jump option for those on the 150,000+ on Premier and BB+ accounts who were
in a hurry to get switched to DSL Max.

I doubt the number of Zen users on the legacy accounts are "few". My guess
is that having seen there were to be download quotas of 20 GB or 50 GB and
then a fee to pay for every extra GB of traffic, the bulk of Zen users stuck
with their old accounts to have the "unlimited" option allow them more than 50
GB a month. Clearly with a quick glance at the accounting spreadsheet, Zen
had to give up their offer of unlimited traffic, and be like the rest of
the ISPs because unlimited on "up to 8 Mbps" could cripple them. So a
Zen user pays ~25 quid for 20 GB, and I pay ~15 quid, with my limit
being 20 GB of traffic in "peak hours" of 1800-0000, and then on
a "fair use" policy the rest of the time, to prevent 100+ GB leechers.

Old June 3rd 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 2 Jun 2006, "Colin" wrote:

Maybe its just our exchange, but has anyone else who chooses to stay on
legacy ADSL 1MB and 2MB accounts, irrespective of ISP noticed a downturn
in performance and connectivity since they had their exchange Max enabled?

I've just checked a couple of remote routers I monitor.
Both have been "up" for at least the last 3 weeks:

Office 1 Elapsed time 28 days
Office 2 Elapsed time 22 days

Both report no "loss of signal" (ie where ADSL link is down).

Both are Metronet 500 kbps accounts, where the traffic is quite low (they
are mostly used for e-mail, and don't exceed the 10.00 +VAT monthly fees).

I have not checked those specific exchanges, but doubt they'd have been left
without IPstream Max, given their locations.

Old June 5th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Blackmesa8" wrote in message

"Colin" wrote in message
I cant get much more than 2MB on my line with the supposed MaxDSL it
seems
... So I've been pretty wise to stick with my old Zen totally unlimited

1MB
account I reckon.

Fair play to Zen for letting us few stay there, my old ISP's Plusnet and
Pipex would have never done that.

I'm with pipex on 0.5Mb and I've had no contact from them whatsoever
concerning MaxDSL.

It's hardly a good test due to the slow line speed but I've noticed no slow
down in performance since the exchange was MaxDSLd.