Wireless on a Telewest broadband account: follow-up question

Old June 3rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default Wireless on a Telewest broadband account: follow-up question

This is a standard Telewest broadband set-up on a Windows XP Pro machine.
The connection to the broadband unit is via a USB cable.

I've got a Belkin wireless router (F5D7231uk4P) and wondered if I could
leave the USB connection to the main PC in place and connect the router to
the Telewest modem whatsit with the network cable to enable wireless through
the rest of the house?

Cheers.

Old June 3rd 06, 02:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
Trent SC opined loudly:
This is a standard Telewest broadband set-up on a Windows XP Pro
machine. The connection to the broadband unit is via a USB cable.

I've got a Belkin wireless router (F5D7231uk4P) and wondered if I
could leave the USB connection to the main PC in place and connect
the router to the Telewest modem whatsit with the network cable to
enable wireless through the rest of the house?

Cheers.

No Blueyonder/ Telewest only allow one conection from the cable modem
,either USB or Ethernet . In your case use Ethernet only
CM to router then Ethernet and wireless to the rest of your PCs
That is my set up, using the same router as you have
--

Yddap

Old June 3rd 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

This is a standard Telewest broadband set-up on a Windows XP Pro
machine. The connection to the broadband unit is via a USB cable.

I've got a Belkin wireless router (F5D7231uk4P) and wondered if I
could leave the USB connection to the main PC in place and connect
the router to the Telewest modem whatsit with the network cable to
enable wireless through the rest of the house?

Cheers.

No Blueyonder/ Telewest only allow one conection from the cable modem
,either USB or Ethernet . In your case use Ethernet only
CM to router then Ethernet and wireless to the rest of your PCs
That is my set up, using the same router as you have

Thanks for letting me know.

Old June 3rd 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

This is a standard Telewest broadband set-up on a Windows XP Pro
machine. The connection to the broadband unit is via a USB cable.

I've got a Belkin wireless router (F5D7231uk4P) and wondered if I
could leave the USB connection to the main PC in place and connect
the router to the Telewest modem whatsit with the network cable to
enable wireless through the rest of the house?

Cheers.

No Blueyonder/ Telewest only allow one conection from the cable modem
,either USB or Ethernet . In your case use Ethernet only
CM to router then Ethernet and wireless to the rest of your PCs
That is my set up, using the same router as you have

(I'm a whizz with sdtandalone machines, but I hate networking...)

I managed to connect the router without any problems, and the wired
connection to the PC is producing a steady internet connection.
However, when I try to connect to the wireless network, I get a message
on the remote laptop saying that the connection has run into problems
and there is limited functionality because "The network did not assign
a network address to the router".

This is Greek to me, so if nayone would be kind enough to make some
suggestions, I'd be very grateful!