Loss of Synchronization Problem

Old June 3rd 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Waters

Default Loss of Synchronization Problem

Hi, .. Im hoping someone can answer a question that is driveing me to
despair. Since the 19/05 my PlusNet 1 meg connection has been losind
connection all of the time. The first thing that I noticed was that if I
take my phone off the hook it re-connects but it seems to be a poorer
service than usual, with d/loads sometimes at 170 mbs (i've even seen 18
mbs) as opposed to the norm of around 960 mbs. I have tried another
router, changed the filter for a new one, plugged direct into the master
socket and disconnected all other phone equipment, I have even plugged my
router directly into the master socket and still the router will not connect
until the phone is taken off the hook, as soon as toy reseat the phone the
ADSL disconnects. Plusnet have done a whoosh test and found no problems, BT
have checked the line and found nothing. Nothing has changed with my
hardware and like I say I have tried another router, and changed the filter
and even the phone, still the same problems. My router (NetGear dg834g) logs
are as below.

Sun, 2002-09-08 12:00:52 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:02:19 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:02:20 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:20 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:20 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:23 - CHAP authentication success
Sun, 2002-09-08 12:03:33 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com
Sat, 2006-06-03 10:10:05 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com
Sat, 2006-06-03 10:06:32 - Router start up
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:04:27 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:29:25 - LCP down.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:30:59 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:30:59 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:31:19 - Loss of synchronization :1
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:31:20 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:00 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:00 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:03 - CHAP authentication success
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:49 - Loss of synchronization :2
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:53 - LCP down.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:55 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:55 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:32:59 - CHAP authentication success
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:40:18 - LCP down.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:40:26 - Initialize LCP.
Sat, 2006-06-03 11:40:26 - LCP is allowed to come up.

The only other thing that I can add is that there is a large tree in my
neighbours garden that my line has to pass through at the BT pole, I now
have to run the risk of a charge of 56 quid for a false call out from BT
which will no doubt take two weeks or more anyway. Please has anyone heard
of or had any experiences anything like this before

Many thanks in advance,
Steve.

Old June 3rd 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 "Steve Waters" wrote:

still the router will not connect until the phone is taken off the hook,

See the thread starting with posting:

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Unusual Problem
Old June 3rd 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve Waters wrote:

, I now have to run the risk of a charge of 56 quid for a false
call out from BT which will no doubt take two weeks or more anyway.

No you don't, you go direct to your ISP (& even if it has got BT in
the name you do not use 151, you use the ISP help desk number) you are
their customer it's up to them to get Openreach to you in a timely (or
non timely, depending on which ISP you have) fashion.

If you go to Openreach about an ADSL problem then you will be charged
as you aren't their customer. You only go to Openreach if you have a
problem with your voice services..

Oh if you are one of the many people who don't know, BT has split
itself into various different companies (for better or worse remains
to be seen) & Openreach is the customer facing one who drives around
in the white vans with BT on the side (just to add to the
confusion)...

Old June 3rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

kráftéé wrote:

You only go to Openreach if you have a
problem with your voice services..

I thought that Openreach worked for a range of telcos (BT being the main
one) and that BT customers still dealt directly with BT, rather than
Openreach.
Old June 3rd 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Colin Forrester wrote:
kráftéé wrote:

You only go to Openreach if you have a
problem with your voice services..

I thought that Openreach worked for a range of telcos (BT being the
main one) and that BT customers still dealt directly with BT,
rather than Openreach.

Still gets dealt with, at the sharp end, by Openreach. It's still
handbags at dawn between the senior management about who's doing what
& who owes what & who's licence covers which part...

In fact is business as usual

Old June 4th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

kráftéé wrote:
Colin Forrester wrote:
kráftéé wrote:

You only go to Openreach if you have a
problem with your voice services.

I thought that Openreach worked for a range of telcos (BT being the
main one) and that BT customers still dealt directly with BT,
rather than Openreach.

Still gets dealt with, at the sharp end, by Openreach. It's still
handbags at dawn between the senior management about who's doing what
& who owes what & who's licence covers which part...

In fact is business as usual

But the public cannot go directly to Openreach (according to Openreach).

Old June 4th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Colin Forrester wrote:
kráftéé wrote:
Colin Forrester wrote:
kráftéé wrote:

You only go to Openreach if you have a
problem with your voice services.

I thought that Openreach worked for a range of telcos (BT being
the main one) and that BT customers still dealt directly with BT,
rather than Openreach.

Still gets dealt with, at the sharp end, by Openreach. It's still
handbags at dawn between the senior management about who's doing
what & who owes what & who's licence covers which part...

In fact is business as usual

But the public cannot go directly to Openreach (according to
Openreach).

There are still ways but if I told you, I'd have to kill you ;-)

Old June 4th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Steve Waters" wrote in message
Hi, .. Im hoping someone can answer a question that is driveing me to
despair. Since the 19/05 my PlusNet 1 meg connection has been losind
connection all of the time. The first thing that I noticed was that if I
take my phone off the hook it re-connects but it seems to be a poorer
service than usual, with d/loads sometimes at 170 mbs (i've even seen 18
mbs) as opposed to the norm of around 960 mbs. I have tried another
router, changed the filter for a new one, plugged direct into the master
socket and disconnected all other phone equipment, I have even plugged my
router directly into the master socket and still the router will not
connect
until the phone is taken off the hook,

It doesn't sound to me as if you have really connected your router direct to
the master socket - if you had, your phone would be disconnected and
couldn't possibly affect anything. To connect direct to the master socket,
bypassing any extensions, you have to remove the faceplate of the BT socket
and plug into the socket behind it.

I have a similar problem with house extensions - the extensions are either
badly wired or so long that the extension wiring wrecks ADSL sync. I have to
place a filter between the extensions and the master socket. In your case it
sounds like a possible faulty phone, or if not, a dodgy extension.

Chris R

Old June 4th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Waters

I have taken the face plate off and tried various filters and two routers,
... I have no other phone sockets in the hous, I've even been down to my
cousins house and testes all of the equipment on his line, guess what - no
porblems with any of it whatsover, .. so the problem has to be between the
master socket and where ever, . it isnt my side

Old June 4th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

Steve Waters wrote:

I have even plugged my
router directly into the master socket and still the router will not
connect
until the phone is taken off the hook, as soon as toy reseat the phone
the
ADSL disconnects.

get ISP to send BT engineer out. This is the usual symptom of a high
resistance fault on the line eg corroded joint, damaged conductor etc.

Its a fault, report it to ISP.

Phil