Opinions sought on these ADSL ISP's please.

Old June 3rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BarmyOne

Default Opinions sought on these ADSL ISP's please.

Hi again,

Following on from the discussion; Subject "Which ADSL isp?" here
I have been doing some
research, on the samknows.com page, it says the following:

Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes
SDSL: No
LLU services: No
Cable: Yes
Wireless: No

BT Wholesale ADSL/SDSL information
ADSL status:Enabled
ADSL enable date:18 May 2005
ADSL prereg:175/350 (+37 duplicates)*
SDSL status:Not available
SDSL enable date:-
ADSL Max status:Enabled (Green)
ADSL Max enable date:31 Mar 2006

*(37 duplicates, is this poeple who have registered more than once?)

screencap in jpg image hosted on theupload.com
hehttp://www.theupload.com/view.php?id=00038202 incase I forgot
something that maybe relevant from the information I copied above. Or I
chose a non proportional font and the above gets 'messed up'

I have checked the telephone number on bt.com/broadband and received this:

//quote
"For Telephone Number *edited*

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line
indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband
service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a
potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the
first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible
will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to
confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Note: Our records indicate that a line-sharing device is connected to
your line. This is the reason that the checker has returned this
marginal result and may mean that Broadband could not be delivered on
this line. Further investigations would be necessary as part of the
ordering process to confirm whether or not you could receive Broadband
service at this address. This could result in a delay to the provision
of broadband at this address."

//end of quote

The criteria I went with was that it was 'inexpensive' as 'inexpensive'
is always good. I imagine I can always talk through any concerns about
billing etc.

What I need for my father is reliability, good level of support -
preferably UK based or Irish at a push. The ability for me to VNC into
his computer to sort any problems out. Also, capping for extensive
usage, I don't imagine he's going to be downloading lots of content, but
as his main usage will be uploading relatively large files (2MB to max
10MB) every other day via email. I obviously don't want the isp to limit
(cap) his upload potential.

The ISP's I would appreciate opinions on are these:

BT Broadband
http://www.bt.com/broadband/
madasafish
http://www.madasafish.com/
ukonline
http://www.ukonline.net/
virgin
http://www.virgin.net/

ADSLGuide has this:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare
which isn't the most informative of information.

Thank you for any information you can offer.