Fixing IP Addresses

Old June 4th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grey

Default Fixing IP Addresses

I have a PC and a laptop connected together with a crossover Ethernet cable.
PC has WinXPPro Sp1, Laptop has WinXP Pro SP2. Creating a connection between
the two was straightforward enough, but the problem I have is when the two
are connected, I have to wait an age before it is usable as they assign
their own IP's.

The PC has BBand connection where the IP is allocated from the server and I
don't want to mess with that - but is there a way of 'fixing' the IP between
the two machines so the connection becomes active straight away?

Graham

Old June 4th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 04/06/2006 Grey wrote:

I have a PC and a laptop connected together with a crossover Ethernet
cable.
PC has WinXPPro Sp1, Laptop has WinXP Pro SP2. Creating a connection
between
the two was straightforward enough, but the problem I have is when the two
are connected, I have to wait an age before it is usable as they assign
their own IP's.

The PC has BBand connection where the IP is allocated from the server and I
don't want to mess with that - but is there a way of 'fixing' the IP
between
the two machines so the connection becomes active straight away?

Graham

You can used fixed IP Addresses on each PC - they should both be in the
same IP address range as your router.

I put some notes together for another group at:

http://www.jgaines.eu/html/networkin...computers.html

If you scroll down to the section 'Manual IP Addresses - Windows XP' it
sets out how to do it - but again, do make sure you are using the same
address range as your router, there are some notes on that as well.

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old June 4th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
ChrisR

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 04/06/2006 Grey wrote:

I have a PC and a laptop connected together with a crossover Ethernet
cable.
PC has WinXPPro Sp1, Laptop has WinXP Pro SP2. Creating a connection
between
the two was straightforward enough, but the problem I have is when the two
are connected, I have to wait an age before it is usable as they assign
their own IP's.

The PC has BBand connection where the IP is allocated from the server and
don't want to mess with that - but is there a way of 'fixing' the IP
between
the two machines so the connection becomes active straight away?

Graham

You can used fixed IP Addresses on each PC - they should both be in the
same IP address range as your router.

OP doesn't have a router.

Chris R

Old June 4th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter M

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, "ChrisR" wrote:

You can used fixed IP Addresses on each PC - they should both be in the
same IP address range as your router.

OP doesn't have a router.

True, but it would be useful advice to anyone who has. Personally I'd use
10.0.x.x for all systems on a LAN, as that's a lot easier to remember than
some of the other options for private address space. Peter M.