Wanadoo Livebox Adpater

Old June 4th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dir

Default Wanadoo Livebox Adpater

I use a Wandoo Livebox which I have connected to a hub ( with the
single ethernet port provided) and am currently sharing my broadband
with 7 other PCs and this is working fine.

The single wireless adaptor ( supplied by Inventel) also works fine,
but I can't seem to get the Livebox to work with any other wireless
adapters Does anyone know if Wanadoo have somehow 'locked' the Livebox
into their own adapters, which they happily sell for around 35 each,
or has anyone got a Livebox to work with any other wireless adapter,
and if so any tips would be welcome.

Many thanks,
Dir

Old June 4th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Dir" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use a Wandoo Livebox which I have connected to a hub ( with the
single ethernet port provided) and am currently sharing my broadband
with 7 other PCs and this is working fine.

The single wireless adaptor ( supplied by Inventel) also works fine,
but I can't seem to get the Livebox to work with any other wireless
adapters Does anyone know if Wanadoo have somehow 'locked' the Livebox
into their own adapters, which they happily sell for around 35 each,
or has anyone got a Livebox to work with any other wireless adapter,
and if so any tips would be welcome.

Many thanks,
Dir

Go to this address http://help.orange.co.uk/categoryBrowse.do

and type:

"third-party Wireless Network Adapters in conjunction with Wanadoo's
Livebox"

into the search box.

Old June 4th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Bob Lurker wrote:
"Dir" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use a Wandoo Livebox which I have connected to a hub ( with the
single ethernet port provided) and am currently sharing my broadband
with 7 other PCs and this is working fine.

The single wireless adaptor ( supplied by Inventel) also works fine,
but I can't seem to get the Livebox to work with any other wireless
adapters Does anyone know if Wanadoo have somehow 'locked' the Livebox
into their own adapters, which they happily sell for around 35 each,
or has anyone got a Livebox to work with any other wireless adapter,
and if so any tips would be welcome.

Many thanks,
Dir

Go to this address http://help.orange.co.uk/categoryBrowse.do

and type:

"third-party Wireless Network Adapters in conjunction with Wanadoo's
Livebox"

into the search box.

It works with other wireless devices. Some wirless devices only use wep
encryption though. Log onto the router and disable encyrption see if that
allows you to connect.

Gaz

Old June 5th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

It works with other wireless devices. Some wirless devices only use wep
encryption though.
Gaz

You mean like the Livebox!

Old June 6th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

"Gaz" wrote in message
Bob Lurker wrote:
It works with other wireless devices. Some wirless devices only use wep
encryption though.
Gaz

You mean like the Livebox!

The livebox uses WPA, with a pretty strong key of about 40 characters

Gaz

I had one of those Wanadoo Liveboxes once and I hated it! The glowing white
W would refuse to go off and I could not get a decent signal throughout my
flat at all. Their support dept wern;t any good either as they could not
provide a solution to the Livebox's inability to send a wifi signal further
than 1 room. I gave up in the end and closed the account after the 12 month
contract was up.
Fred.

Old June 6th 06, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

fred wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Bob Lurker wrote:
It works with other wireless devices. Some wirless devices only use wep
encryption though.
Gaz

You mean like the Livebox!

The livebox uses WPA, with a pretty strong key of about 40 characters

Gaz

I had one of those Wanadoo Liveboxes once and I hated it! The glowing
white
W would refuse to go off and I could not get a decent signal throughout my
flat at all. Their support dept wern;t any good either as they could not
provide a solution to the Livebox's inability to send a wifi signal
further
than 1 room. I gave up in the end and closed the account after the 12
month
contract was up.
Fred.

setting up and installing a normal adsl router is beyond the capacity of
the average household with a pc. The Livebox is pretty much configured
through a desktop wizard. While it aint fool proof, it is in the majority of
cases far easier to install for a non technical person, just like the bt
voyager routers.

They are not the best, they arent the cheapest, but for many people, they
are the only means they will be able to get the advantages of a router
without outside assistance.

Gaz

Old June 6th 06, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

"Gaz" wrote in message
fred wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Bob Lurker wrote:
[...]

Yes I agree with you Gaz. I much preferred my Linksys Router that I use at
my dads house. It is just simply so much better all round.
Fred.

Old June 8th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dir

Bob Lurker wrote:
"Dir" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use a Wandoo Livebox which I have connected to a hub ( with the
single ethernet port provided) and am currently sharing my broadband
with 7 other PCs and this is working fine.

The single wireless adaptor ( supplied by Inventel) also works fine,
but I can't seem to get the Livebox to work with any other wireless
adapters Does anyone know if Wanadoo have somehow 'locked' the Livebox
into their own adapters, which they happily sell for around 35 each,
or has anyone got a Livebox to work with any other wireless adapter,
and if so any tips would be welcome.

Many thanks,
Dir

Go to this address http://help.orange.co.uk/categoryBrowse.do

and type:

"third-party Wireless Network Adapters in conjunction with Wanadoo's
Livebox"

into the search box.

Thanks Bob, I will give that a go.