Homechoice - Shortens IP address leases to cut off voip calls?

Old June 9th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Si

Default Homechoice - Shortens IP address leases to cut off voip calls?

Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:

It's only a problem if you're being forced to change IP address every
time you renew. If it gives you back the same IP address each time then
lease renewal is transparent and shouldn't affect anything currently in
progress.

--

Yep. That's what they're doing; forcing a new IP address onto me every
5-10 minutes. It also wreaks havoc with the dynamic DNS service I use

Old June 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

B. Wright wrote:
In uk.telecom.voip Paul Cupis wrote:
wrote:
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).

Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
that is very clever.

Not really clever, just stupid. The only thing a connection
that changes IP every 5-10 minutes would be good for is the loading of
small web pages.

Small web pages - pages that load in less than, say, 1 minute? That
will be most.

This would break a lot of other things, not just VoIP,
such as: long file transfers, an ssh connection, any type of instant
messaging client that relies on a constant connection, a VPN
connection, etc...

Yes, by design. The OP suggests that they do this with the explicit
intent of disrupting VoIP, P2P etc.

If they really are doing that to you, it's time to look for a
new provider.

No argument here.
Old June 22nd 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

wrote:
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Homechoice's IP address
leases. When I'm using Skype or Bittorrent Homechoice seems to increase
the frequency of lease renewal (approx. 5-10 minutes) for my IP
address. That means that my Skype calls get cutoff and I have to
redial, and also Bittorrent needs to reconnect to all it's peers (which
means downloads take longer). When I am not using Skype/Bittorrent the
lease renewal happens far less frequently (hours or days).

Assuming that they are doing what you say for the reasons you suggest,
that is very clever.

Not really clever, just stupid. The only thing a connection
that changes IP every 5-10 minutes would be good for is the loading of
small web pages. This would break a lot of other things, not just VoIP,
such as: long file transfers, an ssh connection, any type of instant
messaging client that relies on a constant connection, a VPN
connection, etc...

Not to mention online gaming, streaming audio/video (which is a
capability a lot of ISPs seem to try to sell their service on).

I'd have said that excluding web browsing (which it would be an
annoyance, remembering that with windows the socket manager will in this
event close all sockets and report an error to the applications) this
will interrupt just about anything you use.

A lot of home users like sending big emails, like films etc. (and bloody
office staff), This would more-or-less be impossible.

I can't think of any application where this wouldn't be an annoyance,
even web browsing, if every 5 to 10 minutes the page you are trying to
load will bring up an error message. (some people go to more than 1 site
every few minutes)

If they really are doing that to you, it's time to look for a
new provider.

Incredible that anyone would do that, but agreed.