Is this a possible ADSL fault?

Old June 5th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

Default Is this a possible ADSL fault?

"Peter" wrote in message
For a couple of years I've had a Draytek 2900Gi connected to ADSL via
a D-Link 300G+ ADSL modem.

It has worked perfectly with Clara and later with Zen.

The other day, after about a year with Zen (whose service has always
been exemplary) the connection went totally dead. The modem
diagnostics reported a "physical line fault".

The ADSL is on a dedicated analog line, not used for anything else.
The line itself has always worked, as far as I could tell.

You say the line is a dedicated broadband line, have you plugged a phone in
to check. Key a digit, is the there any noise?
Fred

Old June 5th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter wrote:
"The Simpsons" wrote:

For a couple of years I've had a Draytek 2900Gi connected to ADSL
via a D-Link 300G+ ADSL modem.

It has worked perfectly with Clara and later with Zen.

The other day, after about a year with Zen (whose service has
always been exemplary) the connection went totally dead. The modem
diagnostics reported a "physical line fault".

The ADSL is on a dedicated analog line, not used for anything
else. The line itself has always worked, as far as I could tell.

You say the line is a dedicated broadband line, have you plugged a
phone in to check. Key a digit, is the there any noise?
Fred

Yes, the line seems to work fine with a phone.

The question is, it it noisey, crackling or hissing, noise spikes etc,
not whether it works or not.

One explanation which a colleague has suggested is that somebody
else in the vicinity has been allocated the same IP, and is
stealing my packets.

Not an impossibility, but very improbable, also you would be receiving
some of their traffic showing on your log, far more likely to be a lot
of lost packets or errors on your connection

Incidentally I am on a fixed IP on that ADSL service (not the one
this post is coming from, BTW) although AIUI that is still set up
as a dynamic IP and the ISP's router just happens to allocate the
same dynamic IP each time.

Nope if it's fixed, it's fixed, if it's dynamic, true you may get the
same address most of the time, but it is liable to change any time the
ISP does any work on it's servers..

Could
excessive noise on the line (water in a junction box) explain this?

That's why it was suggested that you pick up your phone dial a digit &
listen, then you would hear whether the line was noisey or not but
ingress of water is one of the many things which could be affecting
line. If you've ruled out your modem form being faulty & there is
nothing else on the line, try another filter (yes they do go wrong &
are throw away items), if it's still not working then all you can do
is report the problem to your ISP, who's job it is to chase the report
up thru the various companies until you get either an Openreach ADSL
trained engineer or a lines man to fix your _possible_ line fault.

Old June 6th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Peter wrote:

I gather from the last few ISPs I've used that a fixed IP is
implemented as a dynamic IP but their DHCP dishes out the same IP each
time. I pay extra for the fixed IP, obviously.

Why?

I have a fixed IP with Zen and don't pay extra for it.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field