Troubleshooting connection problem

Old June 5th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Troubleshooting connection problem

Hi,
I'm a regular browser of the BBC's web sites but all of a sudden I
couldn't connect to www.bbc.co.uk (and only that server). I normally
use Firefox and thinking maybe I had somehow, inadvertently blocked the
site I tried IE with the same result. Then I tried VisualRoute and it
found the server but displayed the message: "Connections to HTTP port
80 are being refused". I assumed that that meant the BBC server was
blocking out me (although I have no idea why) so I tried an anonymizer
proxy and I managed to connect. Then I bypassed my router and also
managed to connect, without the proxy. That was weird because the
router gets the same IP address from the ISP and I have cloned the MAC
address from the pc into the router so they should be indistiguisable
from the point of view of the BBC server. The router is a fairly simple
Belkin router and to the best of my knowledge there is no way for it to
block out a specific site since "Parental Control" hasn't been
activated.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed with the
troubleshooting ?

Old June 14th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MED

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It has been a long time, and nobody has replied, so here are a couple of
things I would do first:

1. Clear IE cache
2. Delete IE history.

Do the same (if possible) on the proxy. However, the message you are
getting informing you of not being able to connect is strange in that it
suggests a problem only on that site and only from your connection.

Please post the solution when you find it!

Mike.