BT Yahoo broadband and PAYG standby/alternative connection

Old June 5th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Yahoo broadband and PAYG standby/alternative connection

A quick question as we are setting up a friend's new BT Yahoo Broadband
connection tomorrow.

He wants to use his broadband connection on his laptop using a
modem/router while at home but also to have access to his account via
the 56K modem on dial-up while in the country.

BT don't seem to be able to understand this question and come back
saying one can't use more than one connection to an account at the same
time - well that is not a problem as the ADSL connection can be
disconnected while the PAYG is in use so there is actually only one
connection at any time.

Does anyone know if the BT Yahoo broadband username and password will
work on PAYG and, if so, what is the required dial-up number?

I know BT tries to get you to load their dial-up software but even if
this was hanging around, it wouldn't muck up the broadband as, using a
proper router, dial-up networking is not involved as it would be with a
USB modem. Presumably his laptop could be set to 'never dial a
connection' for broadband use and he could have a 'dial BT' icon on his
desktop for use in the country.

He actually has a Freeserve account so could use this in the country but
that adds complications and using just one BT account would be simpler
for him.

Any advice/experience gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Old June 5th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , m says...
[...]

Often it's easier to just use a 3rd party PAYG account and download his
mail as normal, or use a webmail interface to reply. If you can set up a
BT dialup account he _could_ be able to fully use his email and other
services.

You would have to try that and see as it depends on IP addressing. If
the dialup pools are excluded from accessing services provided over
broadband it would be fairly pointless. However if he can connect using
an IP address in BT's pool it might allow him to just work as normal.

FR
Old June 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

:
[...]

Why BT ?

BT Yahoo Anytime 0808 993 3001
BT Yahoo Pay-As-You-Go 0845 756 0000
International PSTN 00 44 121 478 9200
username supplied by BT Yahoo, e.g.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband
http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , m says...
[...]

just found this

http://www.btyahoo.com/internet/prices

PAYG account for BTYahoo, should take care of it. Just set it up and
check if the Broadband services work, which they should

FR
Old June 5th 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

I normally use 0845 003 3636 for dial up if i need it.

In the past if i've been going out to and using my laptop i set my home
line as a VPN.. So just dial home and connect through my ADSL

Old June 6th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , m writes
A quick question as we are setting up a friend's new BT Yahoo Broadband
connection tomorrow.

He wants to use his broadband connection on his laptop using a
modem/router while at home but also to have access to his account via
the 56K modem on dial-up while in the country.

What do you mean by "access to his account" - fetch email from his BTY
POP3 mailbox/es, or something else ?

Any advice/experience gratefully received.

http://www.purplecloud.com/dialup/

Collect his BTY email using POP3, and send using their SMTP service.

Several others like it: (not recommendations, mind)

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/dialup.shtml
http://adial.co.uk/
http://www.free-dialup.net/
http://www.freeukisp.co.uk/free-dial-up-access.htm