Linksys router playing up.

Old June 5th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Linksys router playing up.

Hi folks
My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
didn`t say which one though.
Are the `new Netgear ones` ok or better than the Linksys. I did read a
while ago that the older WAG 54`s had problems but mine has been fine
until now.
As a side question what is the difference between an ADSL gateway which
this is described as and a bog standard wireless modem/router?.
Cheers
Steve

Old June 6th 06, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Steve wrote:
Hi folks
My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
didn`t say which one though.
Are the `new Netgear ones` ok or better than the Linksys. I did read a
while ago that the older WAG 54`s had problems but mine has been fine
until now.
As a side question what is the difference between an ADSL gateway which
this is described as and a bog standard wireless modem/router?.
Cheers
Steve

same thing, just different words.

The netgears arent to bad, they are a cut above most of the cheap end
routers, and many use none conexant chipsets.

Stability is quite a rarity in the low price adsl router market, with 3com
and netgear, in my experieince, the only ones worth considering.

Belkin are dreadful and seem to contain an internal timer which counts down
until twelve months from purchase and then dies. This has happened on
multiple belkins.

Gaz

Old June 6th 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On 5 Jun 2006 15:27:55 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

Hi folks
My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
didn`t say which one though.

Have you tried flashing it with the latest firmware release ?
--
If you want venality, if you want ignorance, if you want drunkenness,
and facility for being intimidated; or if, on the other hand, you
Old June 6th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi Greg
I thought about doing that a month ago but if I remember right there
was some confusion about which file to use for my version of firmware
(1.2) and memories about a motherboard bios flash upgrade going tits up
a while back put me off since all seemed to be working ok.
Regards
Steve

Old June 6th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On 6 Jun 2006 06:30:36 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

Hi Greg
I thought about doing that a month ago but if I remember right there
was some confusion about which file to use for my version of firmware
(1.2) and memories about a motherboard bios flash upgrade going tits up
a while back put me off since all seemed to be working ok.

Sounds like you don have much to lose, if it saves you the cost of a new
router, its worth the risk.

greg
Old June 6th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Tried looking on Linksys site for the firmware update for version 1 and
da dah... no longer available.
Guess I`ll be changing it after all.:-(
Steve

Old June 6th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi folks
| My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
| resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
| just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
| didn`t say which one though.
| Are the `new Netgear ones` ok or better than the Linksys. I did read a
| while ago that the older WAG 54`s had problems but mine has been fine
| until now.
| As a side question what is the difference between an ADSL gateway which
| this is described as and a bog standard wireless modem/router?.
| Cheers
| Steve

Then you are unlucky, you have to bear in mind that Linksys come from Cisco.
They are solid and dependable mostly and the build is reasonable.
I found the Netgear stuff was mostly trashy by comparison - thats just from my
experience with them. Are you sure that the router is at fault and not the
Filters, line or PSU?

Old June 6th 06, 09:51 PM
jannerboy's Avatar
jannerboy jannerboy is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Hi folks
My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
didn`t say which one though.
Are the `new Netgear ones` ok or better than the Linksys.
Steve
the comparable Netgear model is probably the DG834G.
difficult to say whether they are any 'better'
they are extremely easy to set up, and the one i have been using for the last 3 months has performed faultlessly.
ensure that firmware is (at least) v.2.10.22

stay away from the MIMO and pre-n models.
Old June 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wayne

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks
My trusty old (10 months?) Linksys WAG 54G has started to need
resetting now and then and a guy at PC World (very helpful BTW) said
just bring it in and they`d swop it for one of the new Netgear ones,
didn`t say which one though.
Are the `new Netgear ones` ok or better than the Linksys. I did read a
while ago that the older WAG 54`s had problems but mine has been fine
until now.
As a side question what is the difference between an ADSL gateway which
this is described as and a bog standard wireless modem/router?.
Cheers
Steve

phone linksys tell them your problems....in my case they replaced my router
free of charge after 2 years..nothing but praise for them very helpful
indeed.. hope this helps you out

Old June 7th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Wayne
When I got the router it came as a package with a pcmcia card for 80
quid. Pc World said they would refund me the 80 quid but only if I take
back the laptop card as well, fair enough but to get a new decent (?)
router and card (don`t like the usb sticks) will cost quite a bit more
so will have to maybe see how it goes for now it is actually guaranteed
by Linksys for three years.
I would have thought that Linksys would have made available the
firmware updates for a bit longer than they have but maybe 10 months is
a long time router land!!.
Cheers
Steve