Is ADSL line-sync possible on non-ADSL line?

Old June 6th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default Is ADSL line-sync possible on non-ADSL line?

I have a client who had a OneTel ADSL which was cancelled by OneTel by
mistake.

He decided to move to Demon. The move has been dragging on for three
weeks (I suspect the old ADSL was not fully cancelled so the new order
failed somehow)

BT now confirm that the line is clear of ADSL and Demon promise to have
it working in 5 working days.

However, The Netgear DG814/834 router is still showing the middle green
sync light.

I asked them to try the router on an other line and it also shows green.

Is it possible to have this light showing green even when a line has no
ADSL service? I would have thought not.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old June 6th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Les Desser wrote:
I have a client who had a OneTel ADSL which was cancelled by OneTel by
mistake.

He decided to move to Demon. The move has been dragging on for three
weeks (I suspect the old ADSL was not fully cancelled so the new order
failed somehow)

BT now confirm that the line is clear of ADSL and Demon promise to have
it working in 5 working days.

However, The Netgear DG814/834 router is still showing the middle green
sync light.

I asked them to try the router on an other line and it also shows green.

Is it possible to have this light showing green even when a line has no
ADSL service? I would have thought not.

The ADSL can sync when you don't have an active BB subscription. IIRC,
BT often leave the line connected to the DSLAM so that there's less to
do if the line gets re-connected to BB in the future.

Obviously, since you don't have a subscription you can't browse the 'net
or anything... although it'd be interesting to see whether you could use
the the bt_test login...

xF,

....Nick
Old June 6th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Nick
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:00:17 writes

Les Desser wrote:
[...]

Sorry but unable to get on-site to try.

I sent them over a new DG834 router to test and this time both lines
failed to sync.

Looks like it was a faulty router after all.