Why is ADSL so finicky?

Old June 6th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

Default Why is ADSL so finicky?

David M wrote:

Is this generally a reliable setup, or are some ADSL router-modems
somewhat better than others? (Or are they pretty much just all
near-identical equally-crap commodity items, all based on the
the same chipset?)

Seen different versions of the Conexant s/w in a number of routers,
1-port and 4-port with no problems. Someone commented about having
disconnections since the exchanged was "Maxed" but checking 2 office
routers in other parts of the country, one had been online 28 days
and the other, 22 days, but they did happen to be little-used and
on only 500 kbps service (from MN). Never seen any reports of some
chipsets being better than others, though people spending 100+ may
try to argue/justify them having something "better" (pah!)

As for whether this is down to being cheap units, I saw a Draytek unit
for 60 quid, but if the problem is your line or at the exchange end, it
will be money for nothing. I've just seen a Westell for 15 + delivery
(sorry, I might as well have that, given they can go for 130 or so) so
it might be worth looking around for a bargain, but don't raise your
hopes too high that paying more will make much difference.

[ my cheap and nasty (Conexant) is showing 8128/448 right now !! ]