Why do I have to unplugging my Router from the phone line??

Old June 7th 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Harvey

Default Why do I have to unplugging my Router from the phone line??

I have been experiencing a phenomenon for the last couple of years where the
ASDL connection is getting dropped and a quick re-boot of the router does
not fix it. The only thing that seems to recover my connection is to
disconnect the from the phone line for at least 5 minutes and only then
reconnect and re-power the router (Mentor ALSL/MR4-UK).
Is there something at the DSLAM/exchange end which needs this time to
recover from a trip-out before the connection can be recovered? The phone
line works fine for voice throughout the disconnection.

Steve

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Old June 7th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 7-Jun-2006, "Steve Harvey" wrote:

The only thing that seems to recover my connection is to
disconnect the from the phone line for at least 5 minutes and only then
reconnect and re-power the router

Re-power the router? So maybe a chip in the router is
running hot, you switch it off for 5 minutes, sufficient
for it to cool down, all comes good again?
Old June 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Re-power the router? So maybe a chip in the router is
running hot, you switch it off for 5 minutes, sufficient
for it to cool down, all comes good again?

======================================

Not very likely. More likely there is a reservoir capacitor in the DC
power supply which retains its charge for a time after the supply has
been switched off. CMOS memory chips don't take much current.

The thing keeps on working after a fashion until the capacitor has
discharged itself. There's probably nothing defective.

Old June 7th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I have been experiencing a phenomenon for the last couple of years
where the ASDL connection is getting dropped and a quick re-boot of
the router does not fix it. The only thing that seems to recover my
connection is to disconnect the from the phone line for at least 5
minutes and only then reconnect and re-power the router (Mentor
ALSL/MR4-UK). Is there something at the DSLAM/exchange end which needs
this time to
recover from a trip-out before the connection can be recovered? The
phone line works fine for voice throughout the disconnection.

See if you can borrow a good quality router such as a Draytek or the like
and try it. Mentor are very low end generic routers that are not noted for
their performance or quality.

Peter Crosland