ADSL speeds query

Old June 8th 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Syke

Default ADSL speeds query

I have a broadband connection with Virgin.net. About three weeks ago I
upgraded to "up to 8mb" package. Before this, the speed showed as 2.2 mbps,
and during the past three weeks has varied from 3.1 to 6.2, with it
continuing to work at these speeds. It now seems to have settled down at
3.2, which doesn't seem a great advance on the old 2.2, bearing in mind the
price increase (3 monthly).

I'm a bit hazy on what all the figures mean, but I get as follows: (8.30
this morning)

Router: Netgear DG 834G Firmware V2.10.22

Statistics: Downstream Upstream

Connection speed 3264 288

Attenuation 35db 8db

Noise 14db 6db

Adslguide speed test gives Down= 2.3 Up=0.2

Virgin net tell me " However, if you use a
broadband modem, you will need to close your Internet connection and then
reconnect to allow the speed upgrade to take effect. If you use a router,
you will need to switch it off and then back on again.

I've done this twice a day since but to little effect. Would upgrading the
firmware have any effect?

Any ideas welcome

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

Old June 9th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charles Lindsey

In "Syke" writes:

I have a broadband connection with Virgin.net. About three weeks ago I
upgraded to "up to 8mb" package. Before this, the speed showed as 2.2 mbps,
and during the past three weeks has varied from 3.1 to 6.2, with it
continuing to work at these speeds. It now seems to have settled down at
3.2, which doesn't seem a great advance on the old 2.2, bearing in mind the
price increase (3 monthly).

I'm a bit hazy on what all the figures mean, but I get as follows: (8.30
this morning)

I get the impression that everyone is expecting to see huge increases in
download speeds, and that ISPs are finding that their pipes are not fat
enough to cope with the new demand. To complicate matters, people with
short contracts are migrating their MACs around to what is perceived to be
the best ISP that week, which means it becomes the worst ISP the week
after.

Virgin net tell me " However, if you use a
broadband modem, you will need to close your Internet connection and then
reconnect to allow the speed upgrade to take effect. If you use a router,
you will need to switch it off and then back on again.

I've done this twice a day since but to little effect. Would upgrading the
firmware have any effect?

I think once you have done it once to let it notice the new protocol, you
are supposed to leave it alone after that so as to give it (or BT or
whatever) a chance to "learn" your line.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5