hook condition ignored on "Internet phone"

Old June 8th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walter Briscoe

Default hook condition ignored on "Internet phone"

I bought a couple of "Internet phones", installed skype on a pair of
computers and set up calls between those 'phones.

I was surprised to find that:
1) PC sound plays through the 'phone even when on-hook;
2) going off-hook does not answer the 'phone;
3) going on-hook does not end a call.

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a microphone and a
speaker.

Is this usual?
Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 8th 06, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Walter Briscoe wrote:

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a microphone and a
speaker.

and a sound card.

Is this usual?

yes, a "USB phone" is simply a USB sound card, mic and speaker built
into a piece of recycled yoghourt pot. Maybe with a keypad too.

Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?

yes, avoid anything USB and go for hardware solutions like aTAs.

Phil

Old June 8th 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com
Walter Briscoe wrote:

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a
microphone and a speaker.

and a sound card.

Is this usual?

yes, a "USB phone" is simply a USB sound card, mic and
speaker built into a piece of recycled yoghourt pot.
Maybe with a keypad too.

Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?

yes, avoid anything USB and go for hardware solutions
like aTAs.

Remembering of course to avoid Skype (which you can't use with ATA's
anyway).

Ivor

Old June 8th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walter Briscoe

In message of Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:20:03
in uk.telecom.voip, Ivor Jones writes
"PhilT" wrote in message
roups.com
Walter Briscoe wrote:

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a
microphone and a speaker.

and a sound card.

Is this usual?

yes, a "USB phone" is simply a USB sound card, mic and
speaker built into a piece of recycled yoghourt pot.
Maybe with a keypad too.

Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?

yes, avoid anything USB and go for hardware solutions
like aTAs.

Remembering of course to avoid Skype (which you can't use with ATA's
anyway).

aTA = analog Telephone Adapter?

My ignorance is huge. There is a need for communication with daughter at
university. Currently, she has a cellphone. voip seems useful but simple
installations are needed. I can see limits of USB 'phone but don't know
if of how to progress.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 8th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in
message
In message of Thu, 8 Jun
2006 11:20:03 in uk.telecom.voip, Ivor Jones
writes
"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com
Walter Briscoe wrote:

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a
microphone and a speaker.

and a sound card.

Is this usual?

yes, a "USB phone" is simply a USB sound card, mic and
speaker built into a piece of recycled yoghourt pot.
Maybe with a keypad too.

Is it avoidable with better (more expensive)
hardware?

yes, avoid anything USB and go for hardware solutions
like aTAs.

Remembering of course to avoid Skype (which you can't
use with ATA's anyway).

aTA = analog Telephone Adapter?

Correct. The vast majority use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) which is
incompatible with Skype, which uses its own proprietary protocol.

My ignorance is huge. There is a need for communication
with daughter at university. Currently, she has a
cellphone. voip seems useful but simple installations are
needed. I can see limits of USB 'phone but don't know if
of how to progress.

Skype does have the advantage that it works through most firewalls with no
problem, and some universities can be very tricky in this respect, so that
could be an issue.

If she has an Ethernet connection at university, it might be possible to
plug an ATA into it, but as I said there could be firewall issues, the
only way to be sure is to try it. www.sipgate.co.uk give free UK
geographic phone numbers and you could try it with a softphone (X-Lite,
from the Sipgate site) to see if it works. If it does, you could then
spend money on an ATA.

www.voxilla.com is a good place to start for info on VoIP in general.

Ivor

Old June 8th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Walter Briscoe

In message of Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:46:46
in uk.telecom.voip, Ivor Jones writes
"Walter Briscoe" wrote in
message

[snip]

My ignorance is huge. There is a need for communication
with daughter at university. Currently, she has a
cellphone. voip seems useful but simple installations are
needed. I can see limits of USB 'phone but don't know if
of how to progress.

Skype does have the advantage that it works through most firewalls with no
problem, and some universities can be very tricky in this respect, so that
could be an issue.

If she has an Ethernet connection at university, it might be possible to
plug an ATA into it, but as I said there could be firewall issues, the
only way to be sure is to try it. www.sipgate.co.uk give free UK
geographic phone numbers and you could try it with a softphone (X-Lite,
from the Sipgate site) to see if it works. If it does, you could then
spend money on an ATA.

Picture at www.sipgate.co.uk suggests I can use my USB 'phone to drive
softphone. She should be off campus with wireless broadband next year.

www.voxilla.com is a good place to start for info on VoIP in general.

Possibly. It was not obviously so to me.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old June 8th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilT

Walter Briscoe wrote:

Possibly. It was not obviously so to me.

maybe you need a plug in and go solution like Dixon's freetalk or
Vonage. Buy two boxes, pay the monthly fees and you're in business.

If you can't hack it on your own someone may pre-config an ATA for a
modest fee to a service of your choice.

Depends what you want to achieve and what constraints you have.

Phil

Old June 8th 06, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
I bought a couple of "Internet phones", installed skype on a pair of
computers and set up calls between those 'phones.

I was surprised to find that:
1) PC sound plays through the 'phone even when on-hook;

Go into your sound setup - Control Panel - Sound & Audio Devices - and
choose the appropriate devices for sound playback & voice , respectively.

2) going off-hook does not answer the 'phone;
3) going on-hook does not end a call.

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a microphone and a
speaker.

Is this usual?
Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?

Not necessarily - for instance, the Cyberphone K. If you install the drivers
for the phone, it will hook/off hook as you desire.

If you use it with Skype, the keypad will dial as you desire.

If you don't want to use it with Skype - There is a version of X-Lite which
will allow all the proper handset functions.

--
Walter Briscoe

Old June 9th 06, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilT" wrote in message
s.com
Walter Briscoe wrote:

Possibly. It was not obviously so to me.

maybe you need a plug in and go solution like Dixon's
freetalk or Vonage. Buy two boxes, pay the monthly fees
and you're in business.

Why pay monthly fees when you can get a free service..? There is no
guarantee that an ATA will work behind a university's firewall, some of
them are very restrictive on things like this. Better to use a free
service to try things out, then and only then go for a pay service if the
free one doesn't suit your needs.

It's a very bad idea to suggest going out and buying equipment before you
are sure it will work in the location it is required to. Also, both Vonage
and Freetalk (I believe) lock their adaptors to their service, so it is
difficult to change providers if you decide you don't like them. I for one
would never recommend a provider who insisted on using locked devices.

If you can't hack it on your own someone may pre-config
an ATA for a modest fee to a service of your choice.

I'll do it for free if I am within reasonable travelling distance. Well
maybe for the cost of a pint or three ;-)

Ivor

Old June 9th 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TKD

I bought a couple of "Internet phones", installed skype on a pair of
computers and set up calls between those 'phones.

I was surprised to find that:
1) PC sound plays through the 'phone even when on-hook;
2) going off-hook does not answer the 'phone;
3) going on-hook does not end a call.

i.e. the 'phones merely act as a re-packaging of a microphone and a
speaker.

Is this usual?
Is it avoidable with better (more expensive) hardware?

You can't achieve what you require with Skype as it is not a VOIP service.

Google "VOIP provider" to get some ideas.