LAN DNS Problem?

Old June 8th 06, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Hoe

Default LAN DNS Problem?

Hello, I have a machine on my home network which I want to use as a
small web server. Originally it was getting its IP from the router's
DHCP which was 192.168.2.12 and as I am now enabling port forwarding on
my router I wanted to give it a static IP which I did outside of my DHCP
range of 192.168.2.251.
This mostly works fine but now I cannot contact this machine by name
(server). When I ping server it resolves to 192.168.2.12. If I look at
my DHCP list in my router (Belkin F5D7632) it still shows server as
having the address of 192.168.2.12 even when I bring the DHCP lease time
down to half an hour it doesn't go away.
The only way I can contact the server by name now is to edit my hosts
file on each machine but there must be something else I can do?
Is it the machines still hanging onto an old ip for the server or is it
the router still thinking that it has given an IP address to the server
which is the problem? I hve tried flushing the dns on the other machines
but that doesn't work
Thanks,
Andy
Old June 9th 06, 07:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Andy Hoe" wrote in message
[...]

It really depends how the router does it's DNS records - but you could
perhaps put the machine back onto DHCP, then at a command prompt try
"ipconfig /release". That should get rid of the lease, setting your IP
figures to 0.0.0.0. Then, configure it statically, with the router as the
gateway and dns, and again at a command prompt try "ipconfig /registerdns".
That should register your machine's IP in DNS.
But - the above may not work with a router as the DNS/DHCP offerings will be
much more simple than those of MS's server software which I'm more used to.

James.

Old June 9th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Andy Hoe
writes
Hello, I have a machine on my home network which I want to use as a
small web server. Originally it was getting its IP from the router's
DHCP which was 192.168.2.12 and as I am now enabling port forwarding on
my router I wanted to give it a static IP which I did outside of my
DHCP range of 192.168.2.251.

Why not adjust the scope to suit? From a quick read of the Belkin manual
it would seem that the default lease time is 'forever' so you shouldn't
have problems using DHCP. How many machines do you have on your network
and how often do they change?
This mostly works fine but now I cannot contact this machine by name
(server). When I ping server it resolves to 192.168.2.12. If I look at
my DHCP list in my router (Belkin F5D7632) it still shows server as
having the address of 192.168.2.12 even when I bring the DHCP lease
time down to half an hour it doesn't go away.

Tried upgrading the firmware (or at least reading the upgrade notes to
see if it's an issue they've resolved.)?
The only way I can contact the server by name now is to edit my hosts
file on each machine but there must be something else I can do?

Tried power cycling the router? If you type 'ping server' into a command
line on a machine with a clean hosts file (one you haven't modified),
what IP address does it resolve the name to?
Is it the machines still hanging onto an old ip for the server or is it
the router still thinking that it has given an IP address to the server
which is the problem?

Unless you've got DNS running on something other than the router, it's
not likely to be anything other than the router. You say you've flushed
DNS cache on the machines so the only place that should be resolving the
name is the router.

--
Clint Sharp