Should I move to ADSL Max?

Old June 8th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phasmatis

Default Should I move to ADSL Max?

Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over the
last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which they
agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a 8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

All comments gratefully received.

Old June 8th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phasmatis

Correction on my last post.

Apparently my usage varies between 2-3gb per month.

Old June 8th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Phasmatis wrote:
Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over the
last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which they
agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a 8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

All comments gratefully received.

Depends on the quality of your line. Do you have the SNR figures
available?

JP
Old June 8th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Phasmatis says...
Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over the
last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which they
agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a 8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

All comments gratefully received.

the best thing about it is better upstream. All the rest is variable as
speeds rise and fall depending on contention.

Sometimes a MAX line might fall well below 2Mbps if contention is a
problem, at other times it'll fly. It is a much more dynamic product,
designed by BT to squeeze more use and money out of existing
infrastructure.

FR
Old June 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Phasmatis" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over
the last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which
they agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to
a 8mb ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

All comments gratefully received.

Check the terms of the offer, they may require you to agree to a new
contract.

Old June 8th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 8 Jun 2006, "Phasmatis" wrote:

I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which they agreed to
provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a 8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

If you have any router stats or have tried some of the availability / speed
forecasting tests on the web it might help you decide... A minority of the
people with 2 Mbps connections have had lower speeds, and if they are moved
back to the old product, have even been put back onto a 1 Mbps connection,
while others who have had 500 kbps or 1000 kbps have seen some big speed
improvements...

I'd think that unless your line is rather long, you'd find it as fast (or
faster) and the price drop certainly seems appealing. Peter M.
Old June 8th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Phasmatis" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over

the
last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which

they
agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a

8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

Better the devil you know and all that. No offence but downloading only
2-3GB per month I doubt you'd even notice the difference in speed.

(kim)

Old June 8th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:30:06 UTC, "kim" wrote:

agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a

8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

Better the devil you know and all that. No offence but downloading only
2-3GB per month I doubt you'd even notice the difference in speed.

You forgot (a) the upload improvement and (b) the 12 quid a month...

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old June 8th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:43:23 +0100, "Phasmatis"
wrote:

Hi All,

I have a 2mb Broadband service from my ISP which has been fantastic over the
last 3 years. I contacted my ISP recently to request a Static IP which they
agreed to provide me FOC but also offered me a free migration over to a 8mb
ADSL Max package and reduce my monthly payment by 12!

Do I stick to what I am happy with? or risk this new 8mb connection?
Apparently my usage varies between 2-3mb per month.

I presume you mean 2-3Gb, not Mb.

That is very low usage, but you might still want faster responses when
surfing, so the total data transferred is not that relevant.

ADSLMax does generally seem to wok, but can be less stable if you are
close to the limit for the speed you get.

To have some idea what speed you might actually get (8Mb is nowhere
near certain), you would need to know your current attenuation and SNR
(often called margin in the router statistics).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Some people act crazy, others aren't acting.
Old June 9th 06, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Flying Rat wrote on Thu, 8 Jun 2006 at 18:01:48:
the best thing about it is better upstream. All the rest is variable as
speeds rise and fall depending on contention.

Sometimes a MAX line might fall well below 2Mbps if contention is a
problem, at other times it'll fly.

The downstream line rate of ADSL Max is nothing to do with contention. It is
determined mostly by the signal-to-noise ratio on the line between customer
and exchange - see the oft-quoted http://aaisp.net/maxmagic.html.

--
Tony