Is this a possible ADSL fault?

Old June 8th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

Default Is this a possible ADSL fault?

In article ,
Peter writes:
An Update on this:

I found the problem. It was a bug in the Draytek 2900Gi router. It has
an ISDN dial-up backup option. This can be enabled or disabled in
about 4 different places in the config: there is a global ISDN port
enable/disable, there is a packet trigger type, there is a
64k/128k/none selection, etc. It turns out that merely disabling say
the ISDN port doesn't do it; it still dials out randomly. One has to
disable ISDN in all four places. Easier to just pull out the cable in
fact.

Pulling the cable out has another advantage. I have ISDN as a back-up in
case my cable modem connection fails (yes, I know I ought to get round
to having ADSL as the back-up instead of ISDN). If a tickle of
lightening nearby comes along the phone line and into the ISDN port of
my Draytek router, and blows it up, it's knocked out a single point of
failure in my network. In other words my back-up solution has actually
made me more susceptible to failure! Once I realised that, I left the
ISDN physically disconnected. (I can also, if pushed, redisign my
network if the Draytek goes belly-up)

Although I like Draytek routers, I haven't been too lucky with them. One
did suffer a lightening hit when I had only ISDN (Home Highway) as my
connection. I can hardly blame Draytek for it not surviving, a nearby
property served by the same telegraph pole as my house suffered a hit,
and beside the Draytek router, in my house it left BT's Home Highway box
dead, a few random ports on an ethernet switch, and one ethernet card on
a PC dead too. Then, a while after having converted to cable, using ISDN
as backup, the replacement Draytek router died for no apparent cause,
and I had to replace that too. Only the good reports in newsgroups etc.
kept me loyal to Draytek, otherwise I think I may have wavered at that
point.

--
Tim Clark