Speeding up MAX

Old June 9th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
James Malonie

Default Speeding up MAX

Having just been enabled for ADSL Max, I was quite dissapointed to find that
the line was syncing at only 3.2m, when a couple of other neighbours are
syncing at 7.2+. I have noted that they have had new lines installed with
twisted pair dropfeed, but mine is a really sorry looking run of cable sort
of lightish grey colour with bits flaking off here and there. It really
looks a shoddy mess. If I pay BT to come out and replace this drop feed, is
it possible my sync speed may possibly increase? We are all fed from the
same telegraph pole, but I know little about what other things may be
restricting the speed.

James

Old June 9th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Alan

What are your line stats ie: snr margin and attenuation? If you could
compare these stats with those of your neighbours as they will give a good
indication of the actual quality of their lines compared to yours. Are you
using a router or usb modem? Could be your internal wiring causing
difficulty with the adsl signal. In any case if your line has just been
enabled for max it may take up to 10 days to settle down.
Alan

Old June 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Eric

"Alan" wrote in message
What are your line stats ie: snr margin and attenuation? If you could
compare these stats with those of your neighbours as they will give a good
indication of the actual quality of their lines compared to yours. Are you
using a router or usb modem? Could be your internal wiring causing
difficulty with the adsl signal. In any case if your line has just been
enabled for max it may take up to 10 days to settle down.
Alan

That is bull**** alan. If as the OP says, hiis line is syning at 3.2mbit
each time he connects, then thats down to line noise and wont do any
settling down for the better, after 10 days, or 10 weeks or 10 months. What
are you
talking rubbish for?

Old June 9th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Will

"James Malonie" wrote in message
Having just been enabled for ADSL Max, I was quite dissapointed to find

that
the line was syncing at only 3.2m, when a couple of other neighbours are
syncing at 7.2+. I have noted that they have had new lines installed with
twisted pair dropfeed, but mine is a really sorry looking run of cable

sort
of lightish grey colour with bits flaking off here and there. It really
looks a shoddy mess. If I pay BT to come out and replace this drop feed,

is
it possible my sync speed may possibly increase? We are all fed from the
same telegraph pole, but I know little about what other things may be
restricting the speed.

James

I would say its a good chance that your line feed is causing the massive
drop in sync, but I'm sure there is someone in here with more experience who
would comment.

William

Old June 9th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
R. Mark Clayton

"James Malonie" wrote in message
Having just been enabled for ADSL Max, I was quite dissapointed to find
that
the line was syncing at only 3.2m, when a couple of other neighbours are
syncing at 7.2+. I have noted that they have had new lines installed with
twisted pair dropfeed, but mine is a really sorry looking run of cable
sort
of lightish grey colour with bits flaking off here and there. It really
looks a shoddy mess. If I pay BT to come out and replace this drop feed,
is
it possible my sync speed may possibly increase? We are all fed from the
same telegraph pole, but I know little about what other things may be
restricting the speed.

James

It is probably a long way to the exchange. In between it and your place
there could be miles of thin stretched aluminium wiring complete with a
selection of corroded and occasionally submerged contact joints, then maybe
a shorter run on poles through trees and perched on by birds. The last few
feet are unlikely to be the whole story.

Old June 9th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
alexd

tony sayer wrote:

I think that the ASA ought to take up this rather optimistically oversold
service!

Quite - it's like selling a bottle of vitamin C pills and saying they could
help you live 'up to' the age of 150.
BT knew fine well from the outset that
a) 8M is a theoretical maximum
b) That few people are going to attain it
c) most service providers aren't going to increase their backhaul to 4x
what it was when the fastest available was 2M, so sync speeds are moot
anyway

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:08:22 up 20 days, 13:06, 1 user, load average: 0.73, 0.38, 0.15

Old June 9th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
kraftee

Alan wrote:
What are your line stats ie: snr margin and attenuation? If you
could compare these stats with those of your neighbours as they
will give a good indication of the actual quality of their lines
compared to yours. Are you using a router or usb modem? Could be
your internal wiring causing difficulty with the adsl signal. In
any case if your line has just been enabled for max it may take up
to 10 days to settle down.

& don't forget the 3 days to self adjust if the line is improved, yet
a few hours if the line gets worse..

Old June 9th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
kraftee

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

In most cases what you say may be true, but the OP specificaly states
that it is flaking, which could mean corrosion/noise/RF problems which
could be all that stands in his way to the Minerva of 8Mbps. Hell
I've known it to stop the service, at any level, in the past & a very
satisfying 45 minutes it can be as well, just to see the end users
face light up when it's up & running after x number of weeks...

Old June 10th 06, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Will

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
Alan wrote:
What are your line stats ie: snr margin and attenuation? If you
could compare these stats with those of your neighbours as they
will give a good indication of the actual quality of their lines
compared to yours. Are you using a router or usb modem? Could be
your internal wiring causing difficulty with the adsl signal. In
any case if your line has just been enabled for max it may take up
to 10 days to settle down.

& don't forget the 3 days to self adjust if the line is improved, yet
a few hours if the line gets worse..

Kraftee

So lets say, as the OP says his line is currently syncing at 3.2mbit, and he
gets a 'brand new shiny line' installed and it makes a massive improvement
to the line quality... If he connects to the net with his new good quality
line, are you saying that the sync speed would still show 3.2mbit on his
router for 3 days after the improvement was made?

So for three days, he wouldn't know if there had been any improvment in the
line or not? I thought that ADSL Max syncronised at the highest possible
level each and every time a connection was started?

William

Old June 10th 06, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
kraftee

Alan wrote:
[...]

The synch rate may go up but it will take 3 days + for his actual thru
put speeds to catch up. Whilst on the other hand if for some reason
their synch rate actually goes down the thru put speed will drop
within hours.

Sorry but that's the way the blasted thing has been desgned to work...

Off I go look at my synch rate/speed.....