Freecall

Old June 11th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
bob garbutt

Default Freecall

Hi there,

Any other Freecall users on here? what do you think of the service? What
would you like to see added to the service?

Bob
Old June 11th 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bastard

Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a service such as
this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if they gave me the
right software?

Thanks

. uk...

Old June 11th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"*******" wrote in
message
Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
service such as this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if
they gave me the right software?

Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not everyone
wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in case they get a
phone call, that's what phones are for.

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old June 11th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bastard

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"*******" wrote in
message
Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
service such as this? What does the box do that my computer couldn't if
they gave me the right software?

Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not everyone
wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in case they get a
phone call, that's what phones are for.

Ivor
--

ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so I don't

Thanks for the reply.

Old June 11th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh *******:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"*******" wrote in
message
Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
service such as this? What does the box do that my computer
couldn't if they gave me the right software?

Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not
everyone wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in
case they get a phone call, that's what phones are for.

Ivor
--

ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so
I don't want their box! Grr

Thanks for the reply.

Very strange.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old June 11th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bastard

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
Thus spaketh *******:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"*******" wrote in
message
Forgive the ignorance but why do you need a "box" for a
service such as this? What does the box do that my computer
couldn't if they gave me the right software?

Same as any ATA. Lets you use the system without a PC on. Not
everyone wants to have a computer running 24 hours a day just in
case they get a phone call, that's what phones are for.

Ivor
--

ATA? To be honest my computer is on 24/7 anyway as I use it as a media
centre, TV, alarm clock, server for serving some things etc. etc. so
I don't want their box! Grr

Thanks for the reply.

Very strange.

Not really, in student halls you don't have time for a large CRT and a TV.
When you're moving about a lot it helps to have everything in "one box".
It's not that unusual.

Old June 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"*******" wrote in
message
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
. uk...

[snip]

Very strange.

Not really, in student halls you don't have time for a
large CRT and a TV. When you're moving about a lot it helps to have
everything in "one box". It's not that unusual.

It's not unusual at all, it's the norm for those who know a little about
VoIP and aren't hooked in by Skype and the like. For travelling, I have a
Sipura 1001 ATA which has 2 accounts which can be with different providers
if you like, it's about the size of a pack of cards. You can plug any
ordinary landline phone into it, and it rings with a different cadence for
each 'line' so you can tell which one is ringing.

I do have a softphone (X-Pro) on my laptop, but I don't always want to
leave that on. At home I have 6 VoIP lines from three different providers
(3 x UK numbers, 1 USA number and 1 German number) all feeding into my
PABX along with the BT line so I can select whichever one I want for an
outgoing call from any phone in the house. Incoming calls ring different
phones in different places depending on the time of day or where I happen
to be, I also have a single DECT cordless phone that rings for all of them
so I don't have to carry multiple handsets.

BTW for those who can count (!) the 6th number is for my speaking clock,
give it a call on 020 7043 1320 )

Ivor

Old June 11th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
bob garbutt

Ivor Jones wrote:
"*******" wrote in
message
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote in message
[...]

Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk
Old June 11th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk

Freetalk is excellent I have been with them for about 4 months and the
service has been 100% reliable, audio quality is excellent with no delays, I
have never phoned support so can't comment. Took me about 10 minutes to set
up, all in all a great service. I paid for a year up front for 79.99 which
includes the adapter. Like many VOIP services you can get a local number so
nobody can even tell they are calling a VOIP number.

Old June 11th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
bob garbutt

Phil wrote:
Opps, Sorry everyone I meant freetalk

Freetalk is excellent I have been with them for about 4 months and the
service has been 100% reliable, audio quality is excellent with no delays, I
have never phoned support so can't comment. Took me about 10 minutes to set
up, all in all a great service. I paid for a year up front for 79.99 which
includes the adapter. Like many VOIP services you can get a local number so
nobody can even tell they are calling a VOIP number.

I must agree with your comments Phil, the set-up was very easy, where
you with Telewest before you started using this service?