Networking only one way

Old June 12th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

Default Networking only one way

I have a laptop and a desktop connected via a router and I can see and
access information from the laptop to the desktop.(Both XP)
But when |I try and access the informatuion from the desktop I get a message
that I may not have permission to access the files on the desktop
I have checked the settings on the laptop and desktop and they appear to
give permision but I may be missing something
Can anyone help please
Blair

Old June 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
OhNo

"Blair" wrote in message
I have a laptop and a desktop connected via a router and I can see and
access information from the laptop to the desktop.(Both XP)
But when |I try and access the informatuion from the desktop I get a
message that I may not have permission to access the files on the desktop
I have checked the settings on the laptop and desktop and they appear to
give permision but I may be missing something
Can anyone help please
Blair

Firewall..........do you have your Firewalls set to accept each comp
(Trusted Zones).

Old June 12th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"OhNo" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
I have a laptop and a desktop connected via a router and I can see and
access information from the laptop to the desktop.(Both XP)
But when |I try and access the informatuion from the desktop I get a
message that I may not have permission to access the files on the desktop
I have checked the settings on the laptop and desktop and they appear to
give permision but I may be missing something
Can anyone help please
Blair

Firewall..........do you have your Firewalls set to accept each comp
(Trusted Zones).

Thanks I have looked at the Firewall settings and alltered them but I can't
find how to add the respsective PCs as allowable exceptions. I tried
browsing but can't define it that way
Also after all my alterations I cannot access the desktop from the laptop
So I feel completely lost.
Can you help?
Blair

Old June 12th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:29:42 +0100, "Blair" wrote:

"OhNo" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

Disable the Firewalls and see if that helps - if it does its your
firewall settings, if not look elsewhere.

Robert
Robert
Old June 12th 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
OhNo

"Blair" wrote in message

"OhNo" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

try this info first

http://www.echolink.org/firewall_solutions.htm

Old June 13th 06, 12:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trev

"Blair" wrote in message

"OhNo" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

add the ip adress of laptop somthing like 192.0.0.2

Old June 14th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MED

"Blair" wrote in message
I have a laptop and a desktop connected via a router and I can see and
access information from the laptop to the desktop.(Both XP)
But when |I try and access the informatuion from the desktop I get a
message that I may not have permission to access the files on the desktop
I have checked the settings on the laptop and desktop and they appear to
give permision but I may be missing something
Can anyone help please
Blair

Hi,

Do what the guy said above and disable the firewalls.

Next, check to see if you are using simple or advanced file sharing. If you
use advanced file sharing, you are just being able to modify the NTFS
permissions on the file system.

If you DO have access to the security tab on the properties page of the
folder, check to see if there is a user or group that can access the
folder/files at the desired level. Also, remember to check the permissions
of the shared folder (from the share tab).

The other solution is to connect the root of the drive that holds the
information via the administrative share (c$, d$ etc). Either add a network
drive and use the c$ as the sharename and change the user that connects to
that of one on the other computer that would have access, or access the
share directly via \\ipaddressofmachine\c$ from windows explorer. You
should be prompted for a username/password.

HTH
Mike.

Old June 15th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"MED" wrote in message

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all who sugested disabling the Firewalls. I have done this on
both PCs
I also read "Setting up a small ntework on Windows XP Home Edition" and
there it was recommended to have the IP Address done automatically.
I found that on one PC the IP address was given and on the other it was
automatic.
Having made them both automatic I now have both PCs listed on the desktop
and available. also both are listed on the Laptop but when I click desktop I
get \\Desktop is not accessable. You might not have permission to use the
network resource. The network path was not found
I am grateful to you Mike for your help but I can't follow all your
instructions because I don't understand the terms
Where do I look for advanced or simple file sharing
As far as sharing is concerned |I have made all 4 partitions able to be
shared on both PCs.
,.I am lost on the last paragraph.
Sorry to be so slow on the uptake
Regards
Blair

Old June 15th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

[...]

What firewall are you using on each of the computers?

I have seen a problem ,with similar symptoms, that happened when the Windows
Firewall is used. If this is the case I posted the solution in a newsgroup
somewhere about 12 months ago. I should be able to find it via Google.

Old June 16th 06, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"John Steele" wrote in message

[...]

I am using the Windows Firewall on both PCs
I would be obliged if you could find it
Blair