Call disconnection signaling

Old June 12th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Default Call disconnection signaling

Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the
person you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect
the caller for around 10 minutes?

I've used many VoIP providers, and some also work in this way, and some
also work like mobiles do. If you call someone and they hang up, it
disconnects you.

It's annoying that many providers work in the same way as BT, as when
you use asterisk for call back, you need the VoIP provider you use to
terminate calls when the phone being called hangs up.

I've heard Ofcom are soon to put in a regulation which VoIP companies
must follow, saying they must operate in the same way as BT when it
comes to the disconnection signaling i am mentioning.

Whats other peoples views on all this?

Sean!
Old June 12th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Sean explained on 12/06/2006 :
Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the person
you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect the caller
for around 10 minutes?

I've used many VoIP providers, and some also work in this way, and some also
work like mobiles do. If you call someone and they hang up, it disconnects
you.

It's annoying that many providers work in the same way as BT, as when you use
asterisk for call back, you need the VoIP provider you use to terminate calls
when the phone being called hangs up.

I've heard Ofcom are soon to put in a regulation which VoIP companies must
follow, saying they must operate in the same way as BT when it comes to the
disconnection signaling i am mentioning.

Whats other peoples views on all this?

Sean!

I rarely use callback to a landline, however, I have experienced what
you describe, using voipstunt as the trunk. It is most annoying.

It would help if you could instruct Asterisk to hang up the call by way
of a keypress, although this may make using IVRs you might encounter
using you callback unusable.

Isn't there a way you could make asterisk disconnect after perhaps 30
seconds of silence? Does Asterisk even have silence detection?

Old June 12th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}

Sean wrote:
Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the
person you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect
the caller for around 10 minutes?

It's not as long as ten minutes, I have vague recollection of two
minutes from when I actually did some tests, but that was over ten years
ago.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
Old June 13th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ken

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:30:34 +0000, "Dave {Reply Address In.sig}"
wrote:

Sean wrote:
Okay. Well, in the UK if you call from a BT line to a BT line and the
person you call puts down their phone i believe it does not disconnect
the caller for around 10 minutes?

It's not as long as ten minutes, I have vague recollection of two
minutes from when I actually did some tests, but that was over ten years
ago.

SIN 351 says it's between two and three minutes. As others have
pointed out in similar threads recently over on uk.telecom you can get
out of it on the PSTN (if you're the called party) by pressing Recall
then hanging up. You will then be called back by the network. Pick up
the handset and replace it. You can now dial out again.