SNOM 300 - any good?

Old June 14th 06, 05:48 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
news

Default SNOM 300 - any good?

My VoIP provider is selling the Snom 300.and says it's wonderful.
Experiences anyone?

--
Ian
Old June 14th 06, 09:19 AM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"news" wrote in message

My VoIP provider is selling the Snom 300.and says it's
wonderful. Experiences anyone?

They apparently have a good reputation, but personally I prefer ATA's and
normal phones.

Ivor

Old June 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

news wrote:
My VoIP provider is selling the Snom 300.and says it's wonderful.
Experiences anyone?

I don't know if I am your voip provider, but, personally, I have one in
my sitting room @ home, and yes, it's a wonderful phone. It's well
built, reasonably priced and does everything you might expect.

cheers
peter

Old June 15th 06, 01:20 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

news wrote:

My VoIP provider is selling the Snom 300.and says it's wonderful.
Experiences anyone?

I can't tell you anything about the Snom 300, but after my experiences
with the Snom 190, I would not consider buying any other Snom products.
I bought it at is was brand new on the market, I think some 18 months
ago. Since then, Snom has managed to remove exisiting functionality from
the firmware (UPnP support), introduce bugs in other functions (STUN)
and cease software support 6 months after they stopped selling the unit.
Without UPnP support and with broken STUN functionality, it is
impossible to operate the unit behind an assymetric NAT router (symetric
routers are not affected by the STUN bug).

Another oddity was, that the phone was delivered brand new with a broken
firmware, so that it for some reason crashed when being able to reach
the internet. It was no problem operating it in my local network, but as
soon as the phone could "reach further", it crashed. Firmware updates
are not done by uploading the new firmware to the telephone, but telling
it the URL for the new firmware. Telling the phone to download new
firmware from Snom's web pages tended to be rather difficult, when the
phone crashed when in contact with the internet. I had to download the
firmware update manually, setup a local web server and tell the phone to
download from there.

After that, the software still had a few annoying bugs, dial plans did
not work, a lot of features and functionality available on the
configuration pages were not documented properly and so on, but right
now the unit is at least more or less working and I have learned that
paying twice the price for a thingy compared to a far east cheapy
product is not necessarily a guarantee for a quality product.

Tor
Old June 15th 06, 02:24 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
news wrote:

My VoIP provider is selling the Snom 300.and says it's wonderful.
Experiences anyone?

I can't tell you anything about the Snom 300, but after my experiences
with the Snom 190, I would not consider buying any other Snom products.
I bought it at is was brand new on the market, I think some 18 months
ago. Since then, Snom has managed to remove exisiting functionality from
the firmware (UPnP support), introduce bugs in other functions (STUN)
and cease software support 6 months after they stopped selling the unit.

To be fair to them, the firmware has improved enormously in the last 18
months, and the 3NN series phones are much better than the 1NN series.

cheers
peter

Old June 15th 06, 04:40 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

I can't tell you anything about the Snom 300, but after my experiences
with the Snom 190, I would not consider buying any other Snom products.
I bought it at is was brand new on the market, I think some 18 months
ago. Since then, Snom has managed to remove exisiting functionality from
the firmware (UPnP support), introduce bugs in other functions (STUN)
and cease software support 6 months after they stopped selling the unit.

UPnP is a waste of time because it is so poorly implemented on most
routers. Most router manufacturers make UPnP, test it with MSN
messenger and declare it working.

I'm rather glad it isn't in the Snom phones anymore because it just used
to cause support hassles.

Because of the way the Snom190 was made, Snom had to drop it quite
quickly. There is nothing wrong with a Snom190 with the last firmware,
but there will be no further development.

The 3xx phones are a lot better.

Another oddity was, that the phone was delivered brand new with a broken
firmware, so that it for some reason crashed when being able to reach
the internet. It was no problem operating it in my local network, but as
soon as the phone could "reach further", it crashed. Firmware updates
are not done by uploading the new firmware to the telephone, but telling
it the URL for the new firmware. Telling the phone to download new
firmware from Snom's web pages tended to be rather difficult, when the
phone crashed when in contact with the internet. I had to download the
firmware update manually, setup a local web server and tell the phone to
download from there.

You are the only person to report problems like this with a Snom190.

If you buy a phone through an ITSP then the (minimum) firmware version
will be setup already.

Most people who just buy phones want to be able to mess around with the
settings as they wish, and so don't want any particular firmware version
prescribed.

Tim
Old June 15th 06, 07:47 PM posted to comp.dcom.voice-over-ip,uk.telecom.voip
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Tim wrote:

Because of the way the Snom190 was made, Snom had to drop it quite
quickly. There is nothing wrong with a Snom190 with the last firmware,
but there will be no further development.

As I said, there is a bug in the STUN support. The firmware mixes up the
public IP address with the local port number, causing inboud RTP packets
not to be forwarded if the phone is behind a router using assymetric
NAT. If you are in any way related to Snom (it sounds like you are), you
can probably find the unresolved ticket with logs of the incorrect SIP
traffic in the Snom ticket database.

Tor