Parental controls?

Old June 15th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default Parental controls?

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Old June 15th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Maria Tracey

"Fred" wrote in message
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Sorry not free - but I used to use Norton Internet security.

If you can put up with the bulky software and the poor reviews it did the
trick for my kids.

Old June 16th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

declared for all the world to hear...
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Content Advisor within Internet Explorer is supposed to do this.
--
Regards
Jon
Old June 16th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Content Advisor within Internet Explorer is supposed to do this.
--

Many thanks - wasn't aware of the option. If I can't find it hopefully the
kids won't either!

Old June 16th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Maria Tracey" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in message
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Sorry not free - but I used to use Norton Internet security.

If you can put up with the bulky software and the poor reviews it did the
trick for my kids.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I'm not really keen on Norton which as you suggest is very bulky in compared
to others. Will keep my options open though. Thanks again.

Old June 16th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

declared for all the world to hear...

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have any
recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet access to
inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Content Advisor within Internet Explorer is supposed to do this.
--

Many thanks - wasn't aware of the option. If I can't find it hopefully the
kids won't either!

Tools Internet Options Content.

You can set a password to allow sites, once you've "whitelisted" it it
can be viewed in the future without the password. Or you can just set it
to deny anything which is not rated or has a rating above a certain
level, which you choose.
--
Regards
Jon
Old June 16th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have
any recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet
access to inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Content Advisor within Internet Explorer is supposed to do this.
--

Many thanks - wasn't aware of the option. If I can't find it
hopefully the kids won't either!

Tools Internet Options Content.

You can set a password to allow sites, once you've "whitelisted" it it
can be viewed in the future without the password. Or you can just set
it to deny anything which is not rated or has a rating above a certain
level, which you choose.

But not all sites are rated and any unrated ones will be blocked no matter
how innoccuous.
It's not a very good system
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old June 17th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "Fred"
opened his gob and said:

Ideally free - of course!

The package I use is perfect and free. It is called Parent v1.0.

It is installed in the room where the little (or not so little cherub)
is on the PC. As it is not actually installed on the PC it cannot be
deleted.

As soon as an inappropriate site appears, parent v1 goes
spare/BSODs/GPFs/or just says 'no' and makes sure aforementioned
cherub does not see anything they shouldn't.

The program also comes pre-configured for the individual child(ren).

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 18th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
declared for all the world to hear...
Not sure if this is the best newsgroup but does anyone here have
any recommendations of packages limiting my children's internet
access to inappropriate sites. Ideally free - of course!

Content Advisor within Internet Explorer is supposed to do this.
--

Many thanks - wasn't aware of the option. If I can't find it
hopefully the kids won't either!

Tools Internet Options Content.

You can set a password to allow sites, once you've "whitelisted" it it
can be viewed in the future without the password. Or you can just set
it to deny anything which is not rated or has a rating above a certain
level, which you choose.

But not all sites are rated and any unrated ones will be blocked no matter
how innoccuous.
It's not a very good system

On the surface it seems a brilliant system but as you say most sites are
unrated. :-(

Old June 18th 06, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

opened his gob and said:

Ideally free - of course!

The package I use is perfect and free. It is called Parent v1.0.

It is installed in the room where the little (or not so little cherub)
is on the PC. As it is not actually installed on the PC it cannot be
deleted.

As soon as an inappropriate site appears, parent v1 goes
spare/BSODs/GPFs/or just says 'no' and makes sure aforementioned
cherub does not see anything they shouldn't.

The program also comes pre-configured for the individual child(ren).

Very good - yes. But I would prefer to anticipate a picture of a cock being
sucked on the screen before it's too late. The PC is close to mine but
there are times when it is useful to leave the children alone for a short
while.

I said "ideally free", isn't that a good ideal? Generally I prefer not to
pay over the odds for anything.