One-way ping

Old June 15th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Default One-way ping

A customer has two PCs, both XP Home, which are both connected wirelessly to
a Netgear router. They can each access the internet (they can browse and can
sign onto AOL). However although PC1 can ping PC2, PC2 cannot ping PC1.
Consequently, file and printer sharing doesn't work because ther isn't a
two-way communication between the PCs.

Both PCs have Norton Internet Security 2005, but on both PCs at the same
time, I have tried disabling NIS (ie the firewall). This makes no
difference. I have also checked that the trusted IP range is set correctly
to 192.168.0.1-254. Both PCs receive their IP addresses by DHCP and the
output of "ipconfig /all" is identical for both PCs with the obvious
exceptions of the PCs' IP addresses and MAC addresses.

Wireless isolation is disabled, so all PCs, whether connected by Ethernet or
wireless, should be able to access each other. MAC address filtering is
disabled.

I've added a third PC (my own laptop) to the network, and proved that the
problem lies with PC1:

PC1 - PC2 works
PC1 - PC3 works
PC2 - PC3 works
PC2 - PC1 fails
PC3 - PC1 fails

For the life of me I can't see what's configured differently about PC1
compared with the other two.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve one-way ping problems?

Old June 18th 06, 06:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
OhNo

[...]

1. Disable ALL Firewall applications, including XPs or ensure you have the
Trusted Sites settings correct.
2. Disable Antivirus software.
3. Set NetBIOS to enable over TCP.