affect of adsl interleaving on voip

Old June 15th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Default affect of adsl interleaving on voip

hi

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

thanks
peter

Old June 15th 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Peter Gradwell" wrote in message
hi

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

I'm lead to believe that BT will only enable interleaving as a last resort,
not by default - after all other avenues have been explored.

Old June 15th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jono wrote:
"Peter Gradwell" wrote in message
If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

No, the ISP can choose to set the interleaving at:

automatic (exchange equipment decides based on performance)
on
off
whatever-it-was-before-the-migration

Obviously the last option is only available when you have a MAX customer
migrate to you when they were already on MAX with another ISP.
Old June 15th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
Carl Hibbard

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:05:53 +0100, Peter Gradwell
wrote:

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I only gained about 20ms going from 15ms to 35ms but it did the job
reliability wise that is for sure

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

There aren't many hops to Gradwell from A&A but it hasn't affected my
voip link in the slightest here

HTH

Old June 15th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
John Beardmore

In message , Peter Gradwell
writes

hi

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving,

Not always as far as I know. I had to ask for it anyway.

which, I understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding
upto 50ms.

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

Don't know that the purists class Skype as voip, but that works
well at
1056 down and 806 kbps up with interleave turned on.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore
Old June 16th 06, 07:27 AM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

"Peter Gradwell" wrote in message
I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

As far as I understand, the technique if interleaving is used to *increase*
the quality of the line. Hence very useful where (a) quality of your phone
line is sub-standard (too much noise) or (b) your connection is close to the
distance limit for ADSL.

The down-side is of course a latency increase. If the ISP has set the
interleave value at 16ms (in each direction), the total latency increase is
32ms for the first hop. This should not affect the VOIP quality at all.
Actually it should *increase* VOIP quality for many users on a low qulaity
or too distant ADSL line ...

Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

rgds
Philippe (Belgium)

Old June 16th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip

Peter Gradwell wrote:
hi

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

I've got a pair of bonded MAX lines and my latency is fine, but I was
wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues?

thanks
peter

Hi Peter

I had interleaving on my line for about a week and with a Dreytek Vigor
2600VG router, VoIP was quite seriously affected. So how you would be
affected might depend on your hardware.

Apart from the obvious continuous latency, dependent on how many errors
your router is experiencing and therefore correcting, you might have a
situation where the latency varies significantly during the call
(jitter).

The result is a rather jumbed sound with pops and crackles.

Newnet charged my 7.05 to have interleaving turned off permanently
and the problem went away. I was experiencing about four million
corrected errors a day with interleaving turned on.

Chris

Old June 16th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip

wrote:

If a customer migrates to ADSL MAX BT enable interleaving, which, I
understand can affect latency on the line, potentially adding upto 50ms.

That's not the case in my experience. When we switched to ADSLMax, it
was left in Fast mode, and pings were around 15ms. However, we don't
have a very good line (BT reckoned it was only good for 500k at first)
and now it is running at a bit over 3Mb with interleaving enabled.
It's rock solid like that, and pings are 20ms.

Doesn't seem to have affected VOIP at all, but of course the faster
uplink makes ADSL Max much more useful for VOIP.

Of course, we didn't get our ADSL from BT!
Old June 16th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:27:28 +0200, "Philippe Deleye"
wrote:

Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

Not true. My connection is interleaved (at least the router status
says it is) and the first hop is lower than that:

From the router status:

DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave

From tracert:

2 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms gandhi-dsl1.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.5]
Old June 16th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.net.providers.aaisp,uk.telecom.voip
David Mahon

In article , Philippe Deleye
writes

Note - You can test if interlevae as been set on your conncetion: just ping
and measure the first hop: if it is under 20ms, interleaving is disabled. If
it is above 35ms, interleaving is enabled.

It's on for me (it helped) and the first hop outside my house is 30ms.

--
David Mahon