Wireless - Destination Host Unreachable

Old June 16th 06, 10:36 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Alec Storey

Default Wireless - Destination Host Unreachable

Can anyone give a couple of tips on how to deal with the above error message
when pinging a wireless router? Set up a bunch of these in the past but this
is causing bother for some reason.

Have set the router up with a length of CAT5, configured DHCP on it and set
up a WPA key. Removed the CAT5 , rebooted and attempted to connect
wirelessly.

Windows finds the access point, prompts for my password then tries to
connect. It thinks for a while, then pops up 'Connected' and I get an IP
address from the router (192.168.1.3). Subnet, gateway and DNS addresses are
also fine if I do an "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the router)
and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

Only thing I could think of was MAC address filtering but that's turned off.
(Not sure if I'd get an IP from the route with that on anyway, I'd have to
test it).

This is driving me batty! Anyone help?

Old June 16th 06, 11:57 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
John Navas

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:36:27 +0100, "Alec Storey"
wrote in :

Can anyone give a couple of tips on how to deal with the above error message
when pinging a wireless router? Set up a bunch of these in the past but this
is causing bother for some reason.

Probably no routable gateway address, or any gateway address at all.

Have set the router up with a length of CAT5, configured DHCP on it and set
up a WPA key. Removed the CAT5 , rebooted and attempted to connect
wirelessly.

Windows finds the access point, prompts for my password then tries to
connect. It thinks for a while, then pops up 'Connected' and I get an IP
address from the router (192.168.1.3). Subnet, gateway and DNS addresses are
also fine if I do an "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Post the actual output please.

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the router)
and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

How does it compare to the IP address and subnet mask?

Only thing I could think of was MAC address filtering but that's turned off.
(Not sure if I'd get an IP from the route with that on anyway, I'd have to
test it).

That's not it.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: http://Wireless.wikia.com
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi
Old June 17th 06, 12:24 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Alec Storey

"John Navas" wrote in message
Can anyone give a couple of tips on how to deal with the above error

message
when pinging a wireless router? Set up a bunch of these in the past but

this
is causing bother for some reason.

Probably no routable gateway address, or any gateway address at all.

Isn't a gateway address only required if you want off the subnet?

Windows finds the access point, prompts for my password then tries to
connect. It thinks for a while, then pops up 'Connected' and I get an IP
address from the router (192.168.1.3). Subnet, gateway and DNS addresses

are
also fine if I do an "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Post the actual output please.

The relevant portion is:

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the router)
and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

How does it compare to the IP address and subnet mask?

My IP is .1.3, the routers is .1.1, mask is /24.

Only thing I could think of was MAC address filtering but that's turned

off.
(Not sure if I'd get an IP from the route with that on anyway, I'd have

test it).

That's not it.

I'm stumped, any ideas?

I really don't get how I get an IP via DHCP, but then I can't ping the
router or connect to it in any other way. I can't connect with HTTP to it's
config page, I have to put the cable back in for that. Don't know why
Windows thinks it's connected (which I suppose it must be to get an IP),
then I just get this Destination Host Unreachable :-(

Old June 17th 06, 04:14 AM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
John Navas

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:24:48 +0100, "Alec Storey"
wrote in :

"John Navas" wrote in message
Can anyone give a couple of tips on how to deal with the above error

message
when pinging a wireless router? Set up a bunch of these in the past but

this
is causing bother for some reason.

Probably no routable gateway address, or any gateway address at all.

Isn't a gateway address only required if you want off the subnet?

Yep. So your PC thinks you're trying to get off your subnet, which
means that some setting is screwed up.

Windows finds the access point, prompts for my password then tries to
connect. It thinks for a while, then pops up 'Connected' and I get an IP
address from the router (192.168.1.3). Subnet, gateway and DNS addresses

are
also fine if I do an "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt.

Post the actual output please.

The relevant portion is:

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the router)
and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

How does it compare to the IP address and subnet mask?

My IP is .1.3, the routers is .1.1, mask is /24.

Is the network adapter connected?

Only thing I could think of was MAC address filtering but that's turned

off.
(Not sure if I'd get an IP from the route with that on anyway, I'd have

test it).

That's not it.

I'm stumped, any ideas?

I really don't get how I get an IP via DHCP, but then I can't ping the
router or connect to it in any other way. I can't connect with HTTP to it's
config page, I have to put the cable back in for that. Don't know why
Windows thinks it's connected (which I suppose it must be to get an IP),
then I just get this Destination Host Unreachable :-(

Windows is brain-damaged -- pay no attention to "connected" status. Is
all encryption turned off?

Old June 17th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

The relevant portion is:

Then, I do a "ping 192.168.1.1" (just to test connectivity to the
router)
and I get the "Destination Host Unreachable".

I'm stumped, any ideas?

I really don't get how I get an IP via DHCP, but then I can't ping the
router or connect to it in any other way. I can't connect with HTTP to
it's
config page, I have to put the cable back in for that. Don't know why
Windows thinks it's connected (which I suppose it must be to get an IP),
then I just get this Destination Host Unreachable :-(

What firewall do you have? Is it blocking ICMP traffic? Try switching it
off.

Is the router set up to ignore pings?

DHCP works at a lower level than IP and will not be blocked by the firewall.
The fact that you are getting an IP address via DHCP means that the wireless
part is working OK.

Old June 18th 06, 09:26 PM posted to comp.os.ms-windows.networking,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Fixer

try pinging 192.168.1.2 if yours is .3 then the router should be .2 if there
are no others connected to it