Orange 'free' broadband - what's the catch?

Old June 17th 06, 07:39 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
SpamBox

Default Orange 'free' broadband - what's the catch?

Hi,

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
info - does anybody here know any more about it?

TIA

Glenn

Old June 17th 06, 10:10 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Measures

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:39:02 +0000, SpamBox wrote:

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
info - does anybody here know any more about it?

As far as I have seen there is no catch, except you must stay with Orange
and pay 30 per month (or more).

As to why it's happening, it's all because telephony providers are feeling
the squeeze and are increasingly looking to provide more incentives to
attract more customers. For years it's been increasing subsidies on
phones-with-contracts and more recently it's been extra promotions like
"stop the clock", "web n walk" and "free (was wannadoo) broadband".

As for me, I'm milking them for all they've got - it certainly makes a
nice change!

Hth,
--
Ben Measures
$email =~ s/[email protected]/@/

Old June 17th 06, 10:16 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

Hi,

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
info - does anybody here know any more about it?

You have to sign up to an 18 month contract worth over 30 per month.

Not specifically a catch, as they're making this very clear, however
worth knowing.

Old June 17th 06, 10:28 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"SpamBox" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
: offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
: sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
: hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
: info - does anybody here know any more about it?
:
: TIA
:
: Glenn
:
:

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 17th 06, 11:57 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Les

Joker7 ] said

"SpamBox" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
: offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
: sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
: hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
: info - does anybody here know any more about it?
:
: TIA
:
: Glenn
:
:

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

Chris

There is a website like there somewhere for *every* ISP. :-)
Old June 17th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Cheeky

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:39:02 GMT, "SpamBox"
wrote:

Hi,

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
info - does anybody here know any more about it?

TIA

Glenn

I'd call the 2Gb/month bandwidth limit something of a catch. They
don't say what the penalty is for breaching it either...
Old June 17th 06, 02:47 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Cheeky:
wrote:

Hi,

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has
been offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has
spoken to a sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a
catch. I find this very hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I
am struggling to find any real info - does anybody here know any
more about it?

TIA

Glenn

I'd call the 2Gb/month bandwidth limit something of a catch. They
don't say what the penalty is for breaching it either...

Exactly what's the point of an 8Mbit connection if you've only got 2GByte to
play with.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For 5 airtime bonus contact via:

Old June 17th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Les" wrote in message
: Joker7 ] said
:
: "SpamBox" wrote in message
: ...
: : Hi,
: :
[...]

Yeah' and every ISP has it's problems and unsatisfied customers !

Chris

Old June 17th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

wrote:

Hi,

My brother has an expensive monthly contract with orange and he has been
offered 'free' (up to 8Mbps) broadband for his Home PC. He has spoken to a
sales guy from Orange and he insists there isn't a catch. I find this very
hard to believe. As the offer is so new, I am struggling to find any real
info - does anybody here know any more about it?

TIA

Glenn

I'd call the 2Gb/month bandwidth limit something of a catch. They
don't say what the penalty is for breaching it either...

If you exceed it then they ask you to move to their 'unlimited' package
which will cost you 10 per month and also gives you free calla over the
internet to landlines and Orange mobiles.

Just moved on to it over the last few days. Have always been a
'freeserve/wanadoo' customer so just moved my o2 mobile contract to Orange.
Spoke to a very helpful person at Orange this afternoon and it has all been
sorted for me. He answered all my concern questions like 'What happens if I
go over 2Gb etc and he just said I'd be asked to upgrade to the 'Max'
package for the extra 10.

I should get a 'Livebox' for the free evening and weekend calls in about 2
weeks. Mind you with 500 mins (+ 500 texts!)for 30 on the mobile I can't
see me using the landline that much!!!

Tim

Old June 17th 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-freebies,uk.telecom.broadband
SpamBox

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will advise him to go for it - he uses his mobile for work anyway
so a further 12/18 month contract is not a problem. The 2Gb/month shouldn't
be a problem either as I have discovered that unless you consistently take
the p*ss, Orange don't mind if you go over ocasionally.

Thanks again for the advice.

Glenn