Virgin.net HTTP slow

Old June 17th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Azzopardi

Default Virgin.net HTTP slow

Hi

I've seen a few old threads around with regards to band IP ranges in the
82.x.x.x category causing slow web browsing.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this and if it is still a common
problem? I've had the problem a few weeks now on a Speedtouch 330 modem and
Virgin support haven't been much help

Thanks in advance
Mike

Old June 17th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

Mike Azzopardi wrote:
Hi

I've seen a few old threads around with regards to band IP ranges in
the 82.x.x.x category causing slow web browsing.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this and if it is still a
common problem? I've had the problem a few weeks now on a Speedtouch
330 modem and Virgin support haven't been much help

Thanks in advance
Mike

Picked closest ntl server in this list..

then specified it using this

Setting an explicit web proxy in Internet Explorer for Windows
The following procedure works on all Windows platforms running Internet
Explorer 5.x/6.x, and the procedure for Internet Explorer 4.x is very
similar:

a.. Open Control Panel Internet Options (or, in IE, pull down menu Tools
and select Internet Options...).
b.. Click on the tab Connections.
c.. Click on button LAN Settings.
a.. UNcheck Automatically detect settings.
b.. UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
c.. Check Use a proxy server but ensure that the boxes are left blank.
d.. Click on button Advanced:
a.. In the row HTTP fill in the name and port number of your chosen
web proxy server (see above). It is essential that you do not select port
80, even if your chosen server offers a proxy service on that port.
b.. Ensure that the other rows are left blank.
c.. UNcheck Use the same proxy server for all protocols.
d.. In the Exceptions box enter: 192.168.*
e.. Click OK.
e.. Click OK to exit LAN settings.
d.. Click OK to apply the changes and exit Internet Options.
The last few stages in Advanced avoid using the proxy for Secure HTTPS and
FTP traffic, and ensure that you retain local access to any cable modem
diagnostics pages and to any NAT router setup pages, which typically use
addresses in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx.

To return Internet Explorer to normal operation with no explicit web proxy:

a.. Open Control Panel Internet Options (or in IE pull down menu Tools and
select Internet Options...).
b.. Click on the tab Connections.
c.. Click on button LAN Settings:
a.. UNcheck Automatically detect settings.
b.. UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
c.. UNcheck Use a proxy server.
d.. Click OK to exit LAN settings.
d.. Click OK to exit Internet Options.
Works much better.. fast with no drop outs.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old June 17th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

Forgot link..

Picked closest ntl server in this list..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...cache.html#ntl

Old June 17th 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Azzopardi

Thanks man!

That did the trick. Looks like virgns proxy isn't performing very well.
The only difference I had to do to those instructions was to add it under
the connection specific modem rather than the LAN settings but I think most
people would work that out.

Thanks again - I would have thought virgin support would have known that :-)

Best Regards
Mike

http://www.SoundAid.org
- Because Music Saves Lives