Beware of TalkTalk

Old June 19th 06, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Beware of TalkTalk

This message is for anyone who is still foolish enough to be tempted by
TalkTalk's "Broadband Forever" package. In my case it seems to be
"Broadband Never"!! I signed up to this package in April and my
line rental was transferred from BT to TalkTalk on the 4th May with the
promise of Broadband "going live" on the 12th May. They began charging
me 20.99/month from the line transfer date (4th May). A few days
after signup I was contacted by TalkTalk for a MAC code so that they
could begin migrating my ADSL service to them. This was supplied the
same day via email and confirmed with a telephone call. However, they
failed to start my broadband on the promised date. When I contacted
them they promised that I would be connected in a few days -again they
failed. Several phone calls and several promises later (not to mention
the countless hours wasted in calling queues often being cut off before
getting the chance to speak to someone) I eventually discovered that
they had not used the MAC code that I had supplied and had to obtain
another because the initial one had expired - one month had already
elapsed!! Once, again I obtained a MAC code and supplied it to TalkTalk
that very day. Around ten day later I was contacted by TalkTalk to
advise me that the migration would occur on the 8th of June and was
told that I would be receiving my username, password and modem in the
post in a few days. The service was eventually migrated on the 9th June
at around 9am. I can be sure of the time because I was working from
home at that time transferring some files to the office when my
internet died. After sitting in TalkTalk's calling queue for the best
part of an hour I was able to confirm that the migration at started.
However, in their wisdom TalkTalk had decided to start the migration
before generating my username and password let alone sending them
together with the promised modem!!! So here I sat with my new ADSL
service and I couldn't use it because I had received no login details
and no equipment. Well I already owned an ADSL modem/router so all I
would need is the appropriate parameters to set this up for their
service and I should be able to obtain these together with the other
details in a quick phone call - or so you'd think! I sat on the
phone for another hour in TalkTalk's calling queue only to be told
that TalkTalk don't support equipment other than their own modem and
that it takes at least 48hours to generate the username and password!!!
I had to get a bit stroppy with the support guy and insist that he put
me through to his manager to resolve this situation. However, it still
took two further calls (and much wasted time in calling queues before I
was given the required information). And guess what it didn't work
and it still doesn't - I've been without any broadband service
since 9am on the 9th July (that's almost 10 days already and I still
haven't received anything in the post). In spite of several phone
calls to their support line (and several very long and heated
discussions - I'm normally quite calm and rational) I still have no
broadband access. So far I have determined that my router is correctly
configured and that I am accessing their server with my login details
but my accesses are being rejected for some reason that they can't
explain. I don't think the support staff at TalkTalk have a clue
about what they are doing or how to fix this problem. Almost everyone
I've spoken to seems more eager to get you off the phone than resolve
the problem. They often try to fob you off with nonsense pseudo
technical excuses (I know its nonsense because I'm an IT
professional) or they promise to arrange a call back but it rarely
happens. Another trick is to pretend to transfer you to another
department or colleague and in the process "accidentally" cut you
off but this is not funny when you've already sat in a calling queue
for an hour or more waiting to speak to someone. I am totally fed up of
this company - how they hope to compete with BT offering a service
like this is beyond me. In desperation, I emailed their chairman last
week hoping to expedite a solution but the only thing that solicited
was an automated email response. So there we have it - no broadband
for 10 days and no prospect of a solution - and I'm paying for the
privilege. Why don't I just leave them you may ask? Well they say
that they will charge me 70 for terminating the contract early and it
would take a further 16 days to issue me a MAC code to enable me to
transfer the ADSL service that I don't have to another company!!!!!
All I can say is "Beware of TalkTalk" - rubbish does do them
justice.

Old June 19th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 18 Jun 2006 22:29:08 -0700, ] said :-

(I know its nonsense because I'm an IT professional)

In which case, you had better learn some grammar and use paragraphs.

Also, why the hell did you even consider TT ?
Old June 19th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
- I've been without any broadband service
since 9am on the 9th July (that's almost 10 days already and I still
haven't received anything in the post).
snip

Calendar's wrong as well.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old June 19th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP
"(I know its nonsense because I'm an IT professional) "

Really, and you went for the free Broadband offer from Talk Talk.
Ummm.

Old June 20th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJM

To all responders so far...

What a bunch of arrogant assholes you are. Why can't a competant IT
professional opt for Talk Talk? Must an IT professional opt for Zen's most
expensive package?

Yes, it's a budget service, but it's sustainable - charge a tenner for an
unused international call package, and throw in basic broadband for free,
with no restrictions on increasing the charge *for the call package*
afterwards (after you have a healthy new customer base).

But if your demands are modest, and if Talk Talk were to actually deliver
what they promised, what is wrong with taking up this offer?

Yes, we all suspected it was going to be over-subscribed, and thus a choatic
shambles, driven by Talk Talks marketing wishes rather than their actual
capability and capacity. But it galls me that you all slate the guy who is
getting short-changed and are implicitly accepting Talk Talks behaviour as
the acceptable norm.

And as for judging his professional ability based on the fact that he signed
a contract that hasn't been honoured is simply bizarre. Must all nurses have
private healthcare? Must mechanics always buy performance cars from major
dealerships?

And as for petty criticisms of spelling, punctuation and grammar... well...
I'm lost for words.

I'm surprised such a canny bunch of high-flyers have the time to waste
posting on here...

CJM

Old June 20th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Good on yer CJM
Think you hit a nerve there!.
Never ceases to amaze me that if some folk put as much effort into
helping and advising posters as they do in slagging them off it would
benefit everyone.
I know of people with various hobbies who are scared to death of
posting purely because of the many unhelpful and insulting replies
noted in ng`s.
Shame really.FWIW
Steve

Old June 20th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Brooks

Spin Dryer wrote:
On 18 Jun 2006 22:29:08 -0700, ] said :-

(I know its nonsense because I'm an IT professional)

In which case, you had better learn some grammar and use paragraphs.

Also, why the hell did you even consider TT ?

Maybe he's got his own motorbike, although I would say that it's a bit
dangerous! He's better off trying IT instead.

Richard.

--
"Fine salmon in the rivers."
"Grouse on the moors."
Old June 20th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Jun 2006 16:09, "CJM" wrote:

Why can't a competant IT professional opt for Talk Talk?

They can, but with it (A) not having launched, and (B) having had some fairly
poor history (as the OP would have spotted with a few minutes searching for
the name "Talk Talk" or "TalkTalk" - since he was using Google anyway!), a
competent IT person might have done a little more research.

Must an IT professional opt for Zen's most expensive package?

of course not, but it looks like little or no effort had been put in to check
in advance as to the actual likelihood of getting connected on TalkTalk. For
myself, I tried a number of different phone number/postcode pairs, to get at
least some idea of when the service might be available for myself and some
of my friends/relatives (though I recommended they hold off switching for a
good 6 months from the first announcements, and not do anything 'rash').

As for spelling or punctuation, it's not too common to "nit pick" on spelling
in this newsgroup, but a little bit of effort to break up a post into a few
paragraphs does a lot to assist reading it. I glanced at the original and
the follow-ups, but don't remember anyone getting 'abusive'... Peter M.
Old June 21st 06, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

"CJM" wrote in message
To all responders so far...

What a bunch of arrogant assholes you are.

I assume ABC's respose, posted within two hours of your OP, hasn't appeared
on your screen then. Hopefully he'll not mind if I re-post his comments
here.

quote
""ABC" wrote in message
You could go for a breach of contract as TalkTalk have not honoured their
side of the contract. The cancellation fee is just scaremongering and can
not legally be enforced.
/quote

FWIW I fully agree. If, as you say, the only way of moving to another
Provider is by getting a MAC key from TT, then you need to email them & back
it up immediately with a Recorded Delivery letter stating that as they are
totally in breach of Contract then you require them to provide you with a
MAC key within (say) seven days, failing which you will issue legal
proceedings to rescind the Contract with immediate effect, that they will be
held liable for all necessary costs incurred in so doing & that no further
notice will be given.

snip
Joe Lee

CJM