Likliest source of problem?

Old June 19th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Likliest source of problem?

Hi

My father-in-law recently signed on to Tiscali broadband. He uses XP,
and his connection is via a Speedtouch 330. Every phone has a splitter,
and the socket is right by his PC.

It seems the luck of the draw as to whether he gets a connection or
not. Some times he does, with no problem; sometimes he gets an error
message saying the ISP is unable to connect, or the line is busy, or
several other things.

I've done what little I know: checked the splitters, replaced them with
ones of my own, looked to make sure the computer is configured to go
through broadband, rather than dial-up, and so on, but I've not been
able to solve it.

Does anyone have any ideas on the likliest source of the problem? Like
I say, sometimes it works fine, other times it's impossible to get
online.

Thanks

Steve

Old June 19th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
who me?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My father-in-law recently signed on to Tiscali broadband.

thats thr problem! What a stupid thing to do...

Old June 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi
:
[...]

This is normal of Tiscali it's one of the reason I left them ! The best
thing to do is get a router and stay connected 24/7.

Chris

Old June 20th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

wrote in message
[...]

I have come across the same problem a couple of times. On both occasions
it was solved by reducing the length of wiring between the modem and the BT
Master Box. In both instances there was an extension cable that was over
long and had excess cable coiled up. If you can't reduce that distance (or
cable length), an ADSL wireless modem/router plugged into the master box may
sort it but you would need to be able to connect to the modem/router via an
ethernet cable for setting up.
--
Keith Willcocks