A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

SPA 3000 Config



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 19th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woggle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default SPA 3000 Config

Hi All,

Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.

Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.

In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
calls are fine.

Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?


Thanks,



Mark

  #2  
Old June 19th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 89
Default SPA 3000 Config

Woggle wrote:

Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.


Maybe a network failure.


In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
calls are fine.


Does anybody know which codecs voip.co.uk use? If it is G.729 or G.723
then this could explain the sound.

Tim
  #3  
Old June 19th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 151
Default SPA 3000 Config

Woggle laid this down on his screen :
Hi All,

Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.

Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.


What destination providers are involved?

In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
calls are fine.


Is the low audio on calls coming in on the regular PSTN line? If so,
you are not alone.


Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?


Thanks,



Mark



  #4  
Old June 20th 06, 07:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woggle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default SPA 3000 Config

Thanks for the swift responses,


To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
think are BT but I'll double check that.

Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
is the way forward!! Doh!

Please help



Jono wrote:
Woggle laid this down on his screen :
Hi All,

Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.

Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.


What destination providers are involved?

In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
calls are fine.


Is the low audio on calls coming in on the regular PSTN line? If so,
you are not alone.


Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?


Thanks,



Mark


  #5  
Old June 20th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default SPA 3000 Config

Woggle wrote:
Thanks for the swift responses,


To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
think are BT but I'll double check that.

Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
is the way forward!! Doh!

Please help



Jono wrote:
Woggle laid this down on his screen :
Hi All,

Just a couple of teething problems I'd welcome your thoughts on.

Have successfully setup SPA3000 on voip.co.uk. Has been working well
for a few months. However, from time to time (it tends to occur more
frequently on a couple of the numbers we call to) the call will
automatically cut off and there is a rather annoying beeping noise.

What destination providers are involved?

In addition (but not at the same time), incoming calls seem 'further
away' i.e. you have to turn the sound up quite a way but outgoing
calls are fine.

Is the low audio on calls coming in on the regular PSTN line? If so,
you are not alone.


Any thoughts on where to start with solving this?


Thanks,



Mark



Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
changed it to "UK-spec"?

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/si...l_settings.pdf

shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like
a UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line
quality is the FXO Impedance setting.

Cheers,
Paul.
  #6  
Old June 22nd 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default SPA 3000 Config

"paul hayes" wrote in message
...
Woggle wrote:
Thanks for the swift responses,


To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
think are BT but I'll double check that.

Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
is the way forward!! Doh!

Please help
...

Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
changed it to "UK-spec"?

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/si...l_settings.pdf

shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like a
UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line quality
is the FXO Impedance setting.


It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly (if
that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had changed.

The impedance settings _are_ correct though.

--
Thomas Sandford


  #7  
Old June 23rd 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default SPA 3000 Config

Thomas Sandford wrote:
"paul hayes" wrote in message
...
Woggle wrote:
Thanks for the swift responses,


To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
think are BT but I'll double check that.

Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
is the way forward!! Doh!

Please help
...

Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
changed it to "UK-spec"?

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/si...l_settings.pdf

shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like a
UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line quality
is the FXO Impedance setting.


It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly (if
that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had changed.

The impedance settings _are_ correct though.


hmm, those settings shouldn't cause a disconnect until 30 seconds of
continuous silence are detected. Unless there is simply a bug in the
Sipura device? Altering the PSTN Silence Threshold setting may fix this
problem. Another potential issue was with the disconnect tone,
originally that document just specified a single tone for the disconnect
tone which seemed to work but technically speaking dual tones should be
given so it'll soon be changed to: [email protected],[email protected];2(*/0/1+2).

cheers,
Paul.
  #8  
Old June 23rd 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Sandford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default SPA 3000 Config

"paul hayes" wrote in message
...
Thomas Sandford wrote:
"paul hayes" wrote in message
...
Woggle wrote:
Thanks for the swift responses,


To answer a few queries - yes low audio is on the regular PSTN line -
is there any way to sort this or am I going to have to 'make do'?

The calls which cut off - strange as it doesn't happen all the time, as
I said it's more apparent on a few numbers we ring to, all of which I
think are BT but I'll double check that.

Unfortunately the more both of these go on (and as well as the fact my
internet connection seems to be dropping a lot more recently -
Freedom2Surf mentioning no names!) my wife is less convinced that voip
is the way forward!! Doh!

Please help
...
Is the SPA-3000 still in it's default "USA" configuration or have you
changed it to "UK-spec"?

http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/si...l_settings.pdf

shows most of the settings you may want to alter to make it behave like
a UK phone line. The most important one with respect to PSTN line
quality is the FXO Impedance setting.


It's worth noting that my SPA3000 was rock solid reliable until I tried
using the Provu UK settings whereupon it would consistently but randomly
(if that's not a contradiction in terms) drop PSTN calls. I think it was
something to do with the silence detection but I never fully got to the
bottom of it as my phone calls were more important to me than academic
satisfaction so I ended up backing out most of the settings I had
changed.

The impedance settings _are_ correct though.


hmm, those settings shouldn't cause a disconnect until 30 seconds of
continuous silence are detected. Unless there is simply a bug in the
Sipura device? Altering the PSTN Silence Threshold setting may fix this
problem. Another potential issue was with the disconnect tone, originally
that document just specified a single tone for the disconnect tone which
seemed to work but technically speaking dual tones should be given so
it'll soon be changed to: [email protected],[email protected];2(*/0/1+2).


My guess at the time was that it was tied into the other problem the OP had,
namely that the (inward) volume on PSTN calls tends to be a bit quiet
anyway, and so if you had a quiet caller the unit was detecting "silence"
and dropping the call. I think I did look at the tones thing, thought "that
(a single tone) could be dodgy" and disabled it, but I caqn't now remember
fully.

Like I said, the trouble at the time was that my phone usage represents my
livelyhood so I really couldn't afford to spend a few days changing configs
one at a time until I stopped ****ing customers off (!) so I reverted to a
non-optimal, but known working, config.

I'd be delighted though if someone came up with a definitve UK config that
didn't have this problem!

--
Thomas Sandford


  #9  
Old June 23rd 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default SPA 3000 Config

Thomas Sandford wrote:
[snip]


I'd be delighted though if someone came up with a definitve UK config that
didn't have this problem!


I don't think such a thing is possible. The settings in that doc are
mostly from the BT Supplier Information Notes website
http://www.sinet.bt.com. You're still going to get individual little
problems relating to a particular setup or poor quality line. The PSTN
Silence Threshold setting should fix that but it's not right to tell
everyone they need to change that because in most cases the default
setting works.

cheers,
Paul.
  #10  
Old June 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default SPA 3000 Config

paul hayes wrote:
I don't think such a thing is possible. The settings in that doc are
mostly from the BT Supplier Information Notes website
http://www.sinet.bt.com. You're still going to get individual little
problems relating to a particular setup or poor quality line. The PSTN
Silence Threshold setting should fix that but it's not right to tell
everyone they need to change that because in most cases the default
setting works.


My 2p also.

While BT's line specifications are nicely published online, the same can
not be said of other telecoms providers.

There also seems to be significant regional variations as well.

Tim
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I do anything actually useful with SPA-3000 config? Joe Harrison uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 May 10th 06 08:59 PM
SpeedTouch 546 + Sipura 3000 config settings? Cor uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 5 January 4th 06 06:14 PM
Please advise on my config Mister C uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 September 7th 05 10:28 AM
SPA-3000 Config Stephane M uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 July 31st 05 04:12 PM
Non-NAT and Secondary IP config. Alex Bailey uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 November 9th 04 11:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.