Outgoing Caller Display (Sipgate)

Old June 20th 06, 04:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default Outgoing Caller Display (Sipgate)

When I phone a landline from my Sipgate line my number doesn't come up on
their caller display. When I phone a mobile the number is displayed. Any
ideas why this would be? In my router I have an option for caller ID
modulation this is currently set to CID_V23 but I have the option of
changing it to CID_BELL202. Will changing this make any difference? Sorry
for being thick but I'm fairly new to VOIP that isn't an out of the box set
up.

Old June 20th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil" wrote in message

When I phone a landline from my Sipgate line my number
doesn't come up on their caller display. When I phone a
mobile the number is displayed. Any ideas why this would
be? In my router I have an option for caller ID
modulation this is currently set to CID_V23 but I have
the option of changing it to CID_BELL202. Will changing
this make any difference? Sorry for being thick but I'm
fairly new to VOIP that isn't an out of the box set up.

Is this the same with any landline or just one..? If the latter then it's
possible that line doesn't have incoming CLI enabled.

It it's all landlines then I'm perplexed..! However outgoing CLI and
incoming are different things; what you have set in your equipment (you
have not told us what it is, BTW..!) only affects incoming CLI that is (or
isn't..!) displayed on your phone.

There is a setting on the Sipgate website that *could* affect your
outgoing CLI though, but it is set to "on" by default and unless you
manually change it (in which casse you'd know about it..!) is unlikely to
be the cause, however it's worth a check.

Log on to your account at www.sipgate.co.uk and click on the "My Account"
tab. Scroll to the bottom of that page and locate the box at bottom left
headed "Connection Information: There you will see details of the phone
number, SIP ID etc. and there will be an entry "Caller ID" which should
show "on" by default.

If it's off, click on "edit data" and on the screen that comes up ensure
that the tick is *removed* from the box in the section "Hide your sipgate
number on outgoing calls."

If it is on, then the problem is elsewhere, but not sure at this stage
what that could be without more info on your setup.

BTW try calling my Speaking Clock on SIP ID 1431320 (020 7043 1320) and
let me know the exact time you did so, I can then check my log and see if
your number is displayed here.

Ivor

Old June 20th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info Ivor. I called your speaking clock at 8.56 and 10
seconds(am). I have checked on Sipgate's site and my account is set up to
show my number. It's on all landlines that my number is not displayed, it
just comes up as unknown on peoples caller display.
Thanks in advance

Old June 20th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
DGB

In ,
Ivor Jones typed:
"Phil" wrote in message

When I phone a landline from my Sipgate line my number
doesn't come up on their caller display. When I phone a
mobile the number is displayed. Any ideas why this would
be? In my router I have an option for caller ID
modulation this is currently set to CID_V23 but I have
the option of changing it to CID_BELL202. Will changing
this make any difference? Sorry for being thick but I'm
fairly new to VOIP that isn't an out of the box set up.

Is this the same with any landline or just one..? If the latter then
it's possible that line doesn't have incoming CLI enabled.

It it's all landlines then I'm perplexed..! However outgoing CLI and
incoming are different things; what you have set in your equipment
(you have not told us what it is, BTW..!) only affects incoming CLI
that is (or isn't..!) displayed on your phone.

Ivor

About a week ago, I was testing my BT incoming line by calling from Sipgate
and got "Unavailable" presented on the caller display. Funny, I thought,
the correct CLI had been displaying the last time I tested it, so I checked
the Sipgate website to ensure that CLI was enabled, and it was. On seeing
your post this morning, I checked it again, and this time the CLI was
displayed. I've made no changes, so I assume that Sipgate may be routing
via different carriers at different times of day (something that the Finarea
1899 and 18866 services do), some of which support CLI and some of which do
not.
--
Don

Old June 20th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil" wrote in message

[snip]

Thanks for the info Ivor. I called your speaking clock at
8.56 and 10 seconds(am). I have checked on Sipgate's site
and my account is set up to show my number. It's on all
landlines that my number is not displayed, it just comes
up as unknown on peoples caller display. Thanks in advance

Interesting. I have 2 calls at 0845 and 0909 but none at 0856..! The first
shows a number ending 001 and the second is withheld.

Strange one.

Ivor

Old June 20th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"DGB" wrote in message

[snip]

About a week ago, I was testing my BT incoming line by
calling from Sipgate and got "Unavailable" presented on
the caller display. Funny, I thought, the correct CLI
had been displaying the last time I tested it, so I
checked the Sipgate website to ensure that CLI was
enabled, and it was. On seeing your post this morning, I
checked it again, and this time the CLI was displayed. I've made no
changes, so I assume that Sipgate may be
routing via different carriers at different times of day
(something that the Finarea 1899 and 18866 services do),
some of which support CLI and some of which do not.

An interesting theory, but not borne out by my own experience. I was
probably one of the first Sipgate users in the UK back in October 2004 and
since then my outgoing CLI has always been presented, at least nobody has
ever told me it wasn't and I test systems and equipment frequently.

Ivor

Old June 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message

[snip]

Thanks for the info Ivor. I called your speaking clock at
8.56 and 10 seconds(am). I have checked on Sipgate's site
and my account is set up to show my number. It's on all
landlines that my number is not displayed, it just comes
up as unknown on peoples caller display. Thanks in advance

Interesting. I have 2 calls at 0845 and 0909 but none at 0856..! The first
shows a number ending 001 and the second is withheld.

Strange one.

Ivor

Must have been 08:45 then cause my number ends in 001. It's strange how the
caller display is working on mobiles and VOIP lines but not BT landlines. I
also have an account with Freetalk and if I call that number my Sipgate
number is displayed. It looks like BT's systems just can't understand what
Sipgate is telling them my number is, where as every mobile and VOIP network
can. It's very strange.
Thanks for your hrelp guys.