Intermittent loss of wireless connection

Old June 20th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Default Intermittent loss of wireless connection

I'm having intermittent problems with my wireless network connection between
my laptop and my router. The equipment is a WG511T Cardbus adaptor talking
to DG834GT router.

The signal strength is consistently good (at least 60% and often 85% in the
Netgear app), but every so often the TCP connection freezes - as shown by
doing a continuous ping (ping -t) which shows "request timed out" rather
than a normal reply with a latency of around 1-5 millisec. This usually
lasts for 15-30 seconds and then rights itself. I've confirmed that while
it's taking place, the wireless strength really is good and hasn't suddenly
dropped.

I'm used to the odd ping failing at random, but a whole sequence of maybe
ten consecutive pings timing out, followed by maybe half an hour of
uninterrupted pings, sounds like something else.

At first I wondered whether it was due to interference from other wireless
networks. Sometimes I've seen the problem when there's another much weaker
signal from a neighbour's router, on a very different channel (he's on 5,
I'm on 11), but I've also seen it when there's no other network detectable
(maybe when his router is turned off).

I've tried varying the router's channel and I've tried with and without the
router's XR (extended range) feature enabled. I think the problem is
slightly less common with XR turned off (yes, "off"!).

What I'd like to try if I had another computer and wireless card (which I
haven't) is to see whether more than one computer is affected and if so
whether they are all affected at the same time.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Old June 20th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor McKeown

I get the same problem with different laptops and my 2 Linksys WAG54G.

Both are running the latest firmware, although one is a v.2 (about 18 months
old) and the other is v.1.1 think (about 30 months old).

I swear it's the Linksys box but I've never had 2 laptops running at the
same time to find out if it's laptop specific or related to the Linksys box.

Regards,

Conor.

Old June 21st 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Conor McKeown wrote in message
[email protected]:

[...]

This is getting very weird.

One night, my network was almost unusable because prolonged lack of IP
contact (as opposed to brief single-ping failures) caused Paltalk and
PC-to-PC file-copying/access to time out.

But last night, both from downstairs where the signal was about 60% and
upstairs near the router where the signal was about 85%, I didn't get any
prolonged outages. There were occasional single-ping outages: on a
continuous "ping -t", about one in every 20 pings timed-out but I never saw
two consecutive pings fail. The previous night I was getting multiple
failures (typically a chain of ten or more failed pings) about every five
minutes.

Both nights, my neighbour was running his router on a different channel (I
was on 12, he was on 5) for part of the time, but the incidence of single
and multiple failures was no worse when there was the other signal than it
was when I was the only detectable signal.

And all the time, the signal strength as reported by the Netgear app and by
NetStumbler was fairly constant, varying by only +/- 5% (Netgear signal
strength) or 5 dB (NetStumbler signal-to-noise ratio).

Some time I'll have to borrow my Dad's wireless laptop and set continuous
pings running on both to see if both are affected at the same time. And
maybe I'll take my router to his house to see if it's anything to do with
interference from nearby signals.

I've eliminated things like my DECT phone and cordless headphones (by
temporarily switching them off) and I've proved that I normally get a good
connection even when my microwave is running, so it's not leakage from that.
I wondered whether it was interference from my fan that was running right
next to the laptop, but turning it off on the night that I had the problems
didn't help, whereas running it all yesterday evening I got good comms.

Old June 21st 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Allan

[...]

Initially you mentioned a wireless problem between your laptop and your
router and I assume you were pinging one from the other. This time you
mention PC to PC. Were you pinging PC to PC or laptop to router?

You're sure it's a wireless problem and not a router or laptop problem?
Have you tried a cable connection? Have you tried pinging the router from
the other PC you mention?

Allan

Old June 22nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Allan wrote in
:

Initially you mentioned a wireless problem between your laptop and
your router and I assume you were pinging one from the other. This
time you mention PC to PC. Were you pinging PC to PC or laptop to
router?
You're sure it's a wireless problem and not a router or laptop
problem? Have you tried a cable connection? Have you tried pinging
the router from the other PC you mention?

Sorry. Sometimes I pinged laptop to router, other times I pinged laptop to
desktop (via router). Doing PC-to-PC probably wasn't very sensible because
it adds an extra point at which failure could occur.

It is a wireless problem: I've proved that the laptop can ping the router
till the cows come home if I use Ethernet; similarly the desktop can ping
over Ethernet.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Martin Underwood says...
Allan wrote in
:

Initially you mentioned a wireless problem between your laptop and
your router and I assume you were pinging one from the other. This
time you mention PC to PC. Were you pinging PC to PC or laptop to
router?
You're sure it's a wireless problem and not a router or laptop
problem? Have you tried a cable connection? Have you tried pinging
the router from the other PC you mention?

Sorry. Sometimes I pinged laptop to router, other times I pinged laptop to
desktop (via router). Doing PC-to-PC probably wasn't very sensible because
it adds an extra point at which failure could occur.

It is a wireless problem: I've proved that the laptop can ping the router
till the cows come home if I use Ethernet; similarly the desktop can ping
over Ethernet.

HAve you tried a firmware update for the router? HAd to do that with my
Netgear when I had similar problems.

--
Conor

Who the **** said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?
Old June 22nd 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Conor wrote in message
:

In article ,
Martin Underwood says...
Allan wrote in
:

[...]

I'm about to investigate firmware upgrades for both the router and the card.
However I want to check first that it will not break anything, after being
caught out by a driver upgrade for the WG111T USB adaptor which the WG511T
Cardbus adaptor replaces: the latest drivers will not allow the adaptor to
associate with the DG834GT router when running with WPA encryption. This is
the subject of heated discussion on Netgear's support forum because many
people have experienced it. I've heard nothing since my call was passed to
second-line support a couple of months ago - not even a "whoops - you're
right - let's investigate" type of response.

Once I'm confident that other users of the WG511T and DG834GT combination
haven't encountered any authentication problems with the latest drivers and
firmware, I'll upgrade and see it it solves the intermittent loss of TCP/IP
connection.

My impression is that it goes in phases: I go for several hours without any
serious problems apart from occasional single-ping failure which have no
serious effects, then I experience repeated outages for about 30 seconds,
with contact being re-established only to fall over again a few minutes
later. I've seen it even when the laptop is right next to the router, so
it's not a weak signal problem.

Old June 22nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
I'm having intermittent problems with my wireless network connection
between my laptop and my router. The equipment is a WG511T Cardbus adaptor
talking to DG834GT router.

The signal strength is consistently good (at least 60% and often 85% in
the Netgear app), but every so often the TCP connection freezes - as shown
by doing a continuous ping (ping -t) which shows "request timed out"
rather than a normal reply with a latency of around 1-5 millisec. This
usually lasts for 15-30 seconds and then rights itself. I've confirmed
that while it's taking place, the wireless strength really is good and
hasn't suddenly dropped.

Any microwave ovens nearby?

Old June 22nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Martin Underwood says...

Once I'm confident that other users of the WG511T and DG834GT combination
haven't encountered any authentication problems with the latest drivers and
firmware, I'll upgrade and see it it solves the intermittent loss of TCP/IP
connection.

My impression is that it goes in phases: I go for several hours without any
serious problems apart from occasional single-ping failure which have no
serious effects, then I experience repeated outages for about 30 seconds,
with contact being re-established only to fall over again a few minutes
later. I've seen it even when the laptop is right next to the router, so
it's not a weak signal problem.

Exactly the same as my DG834GT did. The notes for the firmware upgrades
specifically mention this as a bugfix.

Old June 22nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

John Steele wrote in
:

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
I'm having intermittent problems with my wireless network connection
between my laptop and my router. The equipment is a WG511T Cardbus
adaptor talking to DG834GT router.

The signal strength is consistently good (at least 60% and often 85%
in the Netgear app), but every so often the TCP connection freezes -
as shown by doing a continuous ping (ping -t) which shows "request
timed out" rather than a normal reply with a latency of around 1-5
millisec. This usually lasts for 15-30 seconds and then rights
itself. I've confirmed that while it's taking place, the wireless
strength really is good and hasn't suddenly dropped.

Any microwave ovens nearby?

Mine's not on. If I'm picking up my neighbour's then it must be leaking
badly. And 9-11 PM is a strange time for it to be on.