Wanted broadband supplier w/o phone line rental

Old June 21st 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Wanted broadband supplier w/o phone line rental

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing an ISP. It is for a house that I'm
planning on renting out to students. They want broadband internet access,
but will not need a phone line, as they have their own mobile phones. I used
to have a BT phone line which was broadband enabled through Free-Online, but
this was cancelled about a year ago. I could re-activate the BT line and the
free-online account (or look for an alternative ISP), but I wondered if
there might be a better/cheaper option around, as I don't actually need a
phone line, just the internet connection. I think there is a cable-TV box in
the street outside next door, so I expect it would be possible to connect up
to that. This was originally Diamond Cable, which I think is now NTL.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil.

Old June 21st 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Phil wrote:
[...]

You can get just-broadband from ntl - for instance,
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadband3 would probably make your student
lodgers quite happy. Anything involving the BT phone line will end up
with about 10/month extra for the phone line.

Watch ntl, though - they have hissy fits if you connect more than one PC
up to the broadband connection, and specifically prohibit connecting
more than three... so depending on how large the house is, it may well
be unsuitable.

xF,

....Nick
Old June 21st 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"Nick" wrote in message
Phil wrote:
[...]

FWIW they exclude giving you support while you have multiple PCs / a router
hooked up, but dont forbid it as a connected configuration. You will need a
router, since they only give you 1 IP address.

More than 3 PCs doesnt seem to be an issue in practice - last time i checked
there were 4 or 5 here (including laptops).

The couple of times i have had assistance witha fault i have moved a PC onto
the set top box to resolve it.

i have a bigger problem with their insistence that you test with firewall
and virus checkers disabled

xF,

...Nick

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old June 21st 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Phil" Not Required wrote in message
: Hello,
:
[...]

Cable you can have just broadband access,if you go for one of the cheaper
broadband option on a BT line you will have to have out going calls blocked.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk.

Old June 22nd 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Nick" wrote in message

Watch ntl, though - they have hissy fits if you connect more than one PC
up to the broadband connection, and specifically prohibit connecting more
than three... so depending on how large the house is, it may well be
unsuitable.

How would they know if it was done through a router?

Old June 22nd 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like NTL may be the best option,
although I'll probably go for the 1Mb (18pm) rather than the 10Mb (25pm)
package. The main disadvantage with this is the minimum 12 months contract.
My existing ISP also offers lots more options, for example I think I can get
a slightly cheaper deal (even including the BT line rental) by limiting the
bandwidth, and with them I could cancel or downgrade to a free dial-up
option over the summer holidays when the connection is not needed. I'm not
sure what the set-up/reconnect charges will be though, so it's a bit
difficult working out the total costs.
I was planning on getting a single port modem and putting in a wireless
router.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Beck wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message

Watch ntl, though - they have hissy fits if you connect more than one
PC up to the broadband connection, and specifically prohibit
connecting more than three... so depending on how large the house is,
it may well be unsuitable.

How would they know if it was done through a router?

NAT connections can be detected through esoteric means (don't know
exactly how it works, but I'm aware that it can be done); more
importantly, though, cable services typically have a low upload speed
(compared to ADSL), which can become saturated awfully fast, if you've
got more than one or two PCs attached.

xF,

....Nick
Old June 22nd 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Phil formulated the question :
Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like NTL may be the best option,
although I'll probably go for the 1Mb (18pm) rather than the 10Mb (25pm)
package. The main disadvantage with this is the minimum 12 months contract.
My existing ISP also offers lots more options, for example I think I can get
a slightly cheaper deal (even including the BT line rental) by limiting the
bandwidth, and with them I could cancel or downgrade to a free dial-up option
over the summer holidays when the connection is not needed. I'm not sure what
the set-up/reconnect charges will be though, so it's a bit difficult working
out the total costs.
I was planning on getting a single port modem and putting in a wireless
router.

What a little while. NTL will usually have "student" offers available
AUG-OCT, where reduced cost, 9 month agreements can be selected.

Look out for any NTL Corsas parked up on street corners & ask the guy
having a fag with the window down.

Old June 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

"Jono" wrote in message
yonder.com.co.uk...
Phil formulated the question :
Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like NTL may be the best option,
although I'll probably go for the 1Mb (18pm) rather than the 10Mb
(25pm) package. The main disadvantage with this is the minimum 12 months
contract. My existing ISP also offers lots more options, for example I
think I can get a slightly cheaper deal (even including the BT line
rental) by limiting the bandwidth, and with them I could cancel or
downgrade to a free dial-up option over the summer holidays when the
connection is not needed. I'm not sure what the set-up/reconnect charges
will be though, so it's a bit difficult working out the total costs.
I was planning on getting a single port modem and putting in a wireless
router.

*What* a little while. NTL will usually have "student" offers available

What = Wait

Old June 23rd 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Being students, they will possibly want to watch a lot of TV, so having the
NTL digital TV package bundled in as well may be beneficial. Don't forget
that you will also need to purchase a wireless router/hub for all there
PC's, but BT may include there ones in the tariff. NTL always have lots of
special offers, especially for a new customer.
Alan
"Jono" wrote in message
. uk...

yonder.com.co.uk...