WinME PC slows down ADSLMax speed

Old June 21st 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

Default WinME PC slows down ADSLMax speed

I've recently had my broadband connection upgraded to ADSLMax ( up to
8mbps). I run 3 PCs off a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem. Two are
running on Windows XP and 1 runs on WinME. If I run one or both XP machines
there is no problem getting a synch speed of over 3.5 mbps but if I boot up
the WinME machine it immediately forces a disconnection of the router which
then always resynchs at a speed just below 1 mbps. It seems like the WinME
PC is throttling the speed of the connection. I've tried various RWIN MTU
tweaks to no avail.
Does WinME have a 1mbps speed limit? Has anyone achieved higher speeds on
WinME? Is there a setting in WinME which I have overlooked which could
cause this?

Terry_P
Old June 21st 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Terry_P
writes
I've recently had my broadband connection upgraded to ADSLMax ( up to
8mbps). I run 3 PCs off a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem. Two are
running on Windows XP and 1 runs on WinME. If I run one or both XP machines
there is no problem getting a synch speed of over 3.5 mbps but if I boot up
the WinME machine it immediately forces a disconnection of the router which
then always resynchs at a speed just below 1 mbps. It seems like the WinME
PC is throttling the speed of the connection. I've tried various RWIN MTU
tweaks to no avail.
Does WinME have a 1mbps speed limit? Has anyone achieved higher speeds on
WinME? Is there a setting in WinME which I have overlooked which could
cause this?

Terry_P

I would guess that RF interference from the WinME machine (PSU?) is
causing the problem.

Check by booting the WinME machine with its network cable (wireless
card) disconnected. Can you move it further away from the 834G?
--
Peter R Cook
Old June 21st 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Terry_P" wrote in message
I've recently had my broadband connection upgraded to ADSLMax ( up to
8mbps). I run 3 PCs off a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem. Two are
running on Windows XP and 1 runs on WinME. If I run one or both XP
machines
there is no problem getting a synch speed of over 3.5 mbps but if I boot
up
the WinME machine it immediately forces a disconnection of the router
which
then always resynchs at a speed just below 1 mbps. It seems like the WinME
PC is throttling the speed of the connection. I've tried various RWIN MTU
tweaks to no avail.
Does WinME have a 1mbps speed limit? Has anyone achieved higher speeds on
WinME? Is there a setting in WinME which I have overlooked which could
cause this?

Terry_P

What happens if you boot up the WinME machine without its network connection
attached?

Old June 21st 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:04:50 +0100, Peter R Cook wrote:

In message , Terry_P
writes
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. I've already disconnected its network
cable so that my BRAS data rate doesn't get reduced. When the WinME PC is
powered up there is no problem with router synch speed.

Terry_P
Old June 21st 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:12:46 +0100, ABC wrote:

"Terry_P" wrote in message
[...]

It then has no detrimental effect on the router speed.
Old June 21st 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Terry_P" wrote in message
[...]

Seems to me that something within the WinME bootup sequence is forcing the
network card to reset the router/modem

Old June 21st 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:33:18 +0100, ABC wrote:

"Terry_P" wrote in message
[...]

I follow what you are saying, Simon, but what baffles me is why there was
no problem when I was on a fixed 1 mb connection. It could, of course, be a
coincidence that the problem has coincided with my upgrade to ADSLMax.The
WinME machine has a Realtech RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
which should be adequate for the job.

Terry_P
Old June 21st 06, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Winkless

Terry_P wrote:

I've recently had my broadband connection upgraded to ADSLMax ( up to
8mbps). I run 3 PCs off a Netgear DG834G wireless router/modem. Two are
running on Windows XP and 1 runs on WinME. If I run one or both XP machines
there is no problem getting a synch speed of over 3.5 mbps but if I boot up
the WinME machine it immediately forces a disconnection of the router which
then always resynchs at a speed just below 1 mbps. It seems like the WinME
PC is throttling the speed of the connection. I've tried various RWIN MTU
tweaks to no avail.
Does WinME have a 1mbps speed limit? Has anyone achieved higher speeds on
WinME? Is there a setting in WinME which I have overlooked which could
cause this?

Is it when it first turns on or when Windows actually finishes booting?

I'm wondering if there's an electrical interference problem with the
network card in the machine - have you tried a different network card?

Windows ME can't possibly restrict the speed at which the router
connects; it knows nothing about the router or the speed at which data
is being transferred upstream. None of the windows settings should cause
this to occur.

The only other alternative I can think of is a firmware fault in the
router - perhaps a virus is running on the ME machine which is
overloading the network connection somehow? I don't really think this is
likely though.

You've definitely not got a traditional analogue modem plugged into the
ME machine?

Geoff
Old June 21st 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Terry_P wrote:

I follow what you are saying, Simon, but what baffles me is why
there
was no problem when I was on a fixed 1 mb connection. It could, of
course, be a coincidence that the problem has coincided with my
upgrade to ADSLMax.The WinME machine has a Realtech RTL8139/810X
Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC which should be adequate for the job.

Well if, as you are stipulating the WinME machine is forcing a
connection at 1Mb, why would you expect it to reset you router when it
was already running at 1Mb?

Old June 21st 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Terry_P
writes
[...]

Terry what happens if you connect the network cable after the WinME
machine has booted and widows has started?

I am still fairly certain that it is a fault in the hardware on the
WinME machine. Possibly the Network card or more likely a PSU issue. Its
POSSIBLE that there is a HW fault on the router, does the same thing
happen on all four Ethernet ports?

If connecting the network cable causes the router to reboot, try the
same experiment with a single wire connecting a ground on the router to
ground on the WinME machine.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook