ADSL Max speeds - Update!

Old June 21st 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

Default ADSL Max speeds - Update!

Thanks to all the people who responded to my first post on this.

Update - Connection dropped completely yesterday afternoon, and would *not*
resynchronise at *any* speed until about 11pm - this gave a total outage of
approx 7-8 hours. This is the not the sort of temporary drop of connection
that others seem to report, so I would be grateful to hear from anybody else
who may have experienced dropped connections of that length during their
"training period". Also, connection has been on constantly since then - no
dropped connections or resynchronisations according to the log. Should I
not have had some sort of activity during this period, rather than staying
fixed for 18 hours solid?

Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily, or maybe I think I am going to fall
victim to some of the problems that have affected other ADSL Max customers.
Stats still similar to before so, with my limited technical knowledge (on
this specific area at least), I *should|* be able to get a far faster
connection - my download and upload speeds are staying as before (they are
*very* consistent to be fair, just far less than I should be getting!).

Any more thoughts folks..?

TIA

Ian

Old June 21st 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

Mr Wiffy wrote on Wed, 21 Jun 2006:

Thanks to all the people who responded to my first post on this.

Update - Connection dropped completely yesterday afternoon, and would *not*
resynchronise at *any* speed until about 11pm - this gave a total outage of
approx 7-8 hours.

Hi Ian

That sounds like a fault at the exchange. Has your ISP got a "service
alert" page of some kind that you can check to find out if there was a
problem?

Also, connection has been on constantly since then - no dropped
connections or resynchronisations according to the log. Should I not
have had some sort of activity during this period, rather than staying
fixed for 18 hours solid?

I would have expected your throughput speed to have started rising by
now. If there *was* an exchange outage though it could possibly have
affected things so that it takes another three days for the BT software
to recognise your connection is solid at 8128, , ,

Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily, or maybe I think I am going to fall
victim to some of the problems that have affected other ADSL Max customers.
Stats still similar to before so, with my limited technical knowledge (on
this specific area at least), I *should|* be able to get a far faster
connection - my download and upload speeds are staying as before (they are
*very* consistent to be fair, just far less than I should be getting!).

Any more thoughts folks..?

You could talk to your ISP, but they will more than likely not be able
to do anything until the 10 days are up; BT will not accept a fault
report while the line is "training" (even if it isn't!)

I know how frustrating it must be -- I had the same experience when I
upgraded to Max. If it's any comfort, once a fault could be raised it
did get sorted out pretty quickly.

--
Nightowl
Old June 23rd 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

"Nightowl" ] wrote in message
| Mr Wiffy wrote on Wed, 21 Jun 2006:
|
| Thanks to all the people who responded to my first post on this.
|
| Update - Connection dropped completely yesterday afternoon, and would
*not*
| resynchronise at *any* speed until about 11pm - this gave a total outage
of
| approx 7-8 hours.
|
| Hi Ian
|
| That sounds like a fault at the exchange. Has your ISP got a "service
| alert" page of some kind that you can check to find out if there was a
| problem?
|
| Also, connection has been on constantly since then - no dropped
| connections or resynchronisations according to the log. Should I not
| have had some sort of activity during this period, rather than staying
| fixed for 18 hours solid?
|
| I would have expected your throughput speed to have started rising by
| now. If there *was* an exchange outage though it could possibly have
| affected things so that it takes another three days for the BT software
| to recognise your connection is solid at 8128, , ,
|
| Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily, or maybe I think I am going to fall
| victim to some of the problems that have affected other ADSL Max
customers.
| Stats still similar to before so, with my limited technical knowledge (on
| this specific area at least), I *should|* be able to get a far faster
| connection - my download and upload speeds are staying as before (they
are
| *very* consistent to be fair, just far less than I should be getting!).
|
| Any more thoughts folks..?
|
| You could talk to your ISP, but they will more than likely not be able
| to do anything until the 10 days are up; BT will not accept a fault
| report while the line is "training" (even if it isn't!)
|
| I know how frustrating it must be -- I had the same experience when I
| upgraded to Max. If it's any comfort, once a fault could be raised it
| did get sorted out pretty quickly.
|
| --
| Nightowl

Further update. As of yesterday evening I have finally been getting
download speeds of about 5-6mbps, most often towards the upper limits
(sometimes 6.1-6.3mbps). I would therefore assume that the process has
finally kicked in. Interestingly my stats are as follows with these sort of
rates:

Line attenuation: down 22db up 5.5db
Noise margin: down 12db up 27db

From what I have been told by the various posters, you will be locked at the
rate where the signal noise margin is 6db or higher - wouldn't this suggest
that my line can handle more than it currently is? Not being greedy,
because I am delighted if it stays as is, but what are peoples thoughts on
this issue?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Ian

Old June 23rd 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

Mr Wiffy wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 2006:

Further update. As of yesterday evening I have finally been getting
download speeds of about 5-6mbps, most often towards the upper limits
(sometimes 6.1-6.3mbps). I would therefore assume that the process has
finally kicked in.

Hi Ian

Great news! I'm glad it's working for you at last.

Interestingly my stats are as follows with these sort of
rates:

Line attenuation: down 22db up 5.5db
Noise margin: down 12db up 27db

From what I have been told by the various posters, you will be locked at the
rate where the signal noise margin is 6db or higher - wouldn't this suggest
that my line can handle more than it currently is? Not being greedy,
because I am delighted if it stays as is, but what are peoples thoughts on
this issue?

Well, you'd think so, looking purely at the numbers. But the highest
rate I've ever had was 6.3Mbps, and that's rare; mostly it seems to
hover between 5.5-6Mbps, syncing at 8128/448 and with line stats of:

Line attenuation: down 29 up 32
Noise margin: down 12db up 24db

Zen state on their main broadband page: "Average download speeds
recorded to date by BT average between 5-6Mb." And when I first reported
my stuck-at-2meg fault, I said I hoped to get 6-7Mb; the support person
replied: "You'll probably get 6, but we don't know of anybody getting
7." Of course there is exchange contention and overheads to take into
account, but it does make me wonder whether there is some other limiting
factor at work. However, like you, I'm happy with what I've got,
particularly as I also save 10 a month over what I was paying for my
2meg service :-)

Just a small correction, though; on BT Max you will never be "locked" at
any speed. The dynamic line management and BRAS processes are
continuous, not just for the first 10 days. So if your line conditions
deteriorate at any time in the future, your sync rate and throughput
will change. The Maximum Stable Rate recorded at the end of the 10 days
is a threshold reference in case you report any speed-related faults in
the future; it isn't in any sense a "fixed" speed that you will get.

--
Nightowl