AOL

Old June 22nd 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

Default AOL

After the lads putting in a door security system at out block of flats
a week or so back I went through hell trying to get online. It took the
Telecom people several days to get me on tap again missing the England
match that Sunday too. I bet that cost a packet.

AOL were about to switch their servers and I was unable to install the
upgrade for some reason.

After being passed up to a senior engineer, unasked, who really went to
town on the system over my phone with me before giving up and telling
me to reformat again (I had gone demented trying to sort it out before
twigging my phone was down. It's amazing wot you can do with a little
knowledge) I found I had a major bug.

This thing may have got in on my first reinstall but I was wondering if
the files I saved held it. I kept being told AVG was damaged and needed
a reinstall.

Things seem quiet now and I came here an hour or so looking for advice
on a new ISP so I could also consider a migration to a decent OS. When
a knock on the door brought me a suspicious package. Well, it made a
change from letters from the bailiffs, so I opened it.

It contains a new modem: Voyager 105 and upgrade from my BT Voyager 100
obviously. Also 3 filters a USB lead and a new telephone-modem cable.
All unasked. I hope they are freebies as I have the computer set up and
running OK (fingers crossed.)

Well done AOL. What a pity I have to stick with Windows.

Wanted:

Monitor to computer cable in exchange for about 10 miles of telephone
modem cable. Where des it all come from? And who's got my odd socks?

Old June 22nd 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...

Well done AOL. What a pity I have to stick with Windows.

Why do you think that you have to stick with windoze?

Old June 22nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

Bob Lurker wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...

Well done AOL. What a pity I have to stick with Windows.

Why do you think that you have to stick with Windows?

The last I heard I can only get online with AOL if I use Windows. Do
you know better?

Old June 22nd 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer wrote:

After the lads putting in a door security system at out block of flats

tried to plug it into the telephone exchange

a week or so back, I went through hell trying to get online.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob Lurker wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ps.com...

Well done AOL. What a pity I have to stick with Windows.

Why do you think that you have to stick with Windows?

The last I heard I can only get online with AOL if I use Windows. Do
you know better?

If you connect using a router, you can then use any OS via Ethernet!

Old June 22nd 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

Bob Lurker wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why do you think that you have to stick with Windows?

The last I heard I can only get online with AOL if I use Windows. Do
you know better?

If you connect using a router, you can then use any OS via Ethernet!

And what OS do I load the AOL drivers and stuff on?

Old June 23rd 06, 03:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 22 Jun 2006, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:

And what OS do I load the AOL drivers and stuff on?

You wouldn't. You'd use an ethernet cable to a router, use your web
browser to fill in the login details, save the settings in the router
and then reboot it. It would establish a link with your BT exchange,
then do the login, and you would be able to browse, use e-mail, etc.

What OS you are using is unimportant if you can get ethernet to work,
and use the browser (or telnet, depending on the router, or even the
serial port, for some routers I've used) to be able to enter login
details... Just steer clear of any USB trash ! Good luck.
Old June 23rd 06, 05:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

And what OS do I load the AOL drivers and stuff on?

You dont need the AOL stuff anymore if you want to get email and use a web
browser. Email can be done using any IMAP client and you can take your
pick with web browsers as long as you use a router as Bob Lurker told you.
Have set up several AOL people with routers now and they love being able
to use what they want to use.

Dave

Old June 23rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Weatherlawyer

poster wrote:
On 22 Jun 2006, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:

And what OS do I load the AOL drivers and stuff on?

You wouldn't. You'd use an ethernet cable to a router, use your web
browser to fill in the login details, save the settings in the router
and then reboot it. It would establish a link with your BT exchange,
then do the login, and you would be able to browse, use e-mail, etc.

What OS you are using is unimportant if you can get ethernet to work,
and use the browser (or telnet, depending on the router, or even the
serial port, for some routers I've used) to be able to enter login
details... Just steer clear of any USB trash ! Good luck.#

So my ISP would recognise that I was using an ethrnet router? How?

Old June 23rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Weatherlawyer wrote:
poster wrote:
On 22 Jun 2006, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:

And what OS do I load the AOL drivers and stuff on?

You wouldn't. You'd use an ethernet cable to a router, use your web
browser to fill in the login details, save the settings in the router
and then reboot it. It would establish a link with your BT exchange,
then do the login, and you would be able to browse, use e-mail, etc.

What OS you are using is unimportant if you can get ethernet to work,
and use the browser (or telnet, depending on the router, or even the
serial port, for some routers I've used) to be able to enter login
details... Just steer clear of any USB trash ! Good luck.#

So my ISP would recognise that I was using an ethrnet router? How?

Your ISP would have difficulty telling whether you were using Ethernet
or USB.

The AOL software is now optional, if that helps.

xF,

....Nick