phone constantly ringing

Old June 22nd 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default phone constantly ringing

Am trying to help a friend setup broadband. Whenever she turns on the pc
the phone constantly rings. I know this can be a common problem but I
cannot remember all of the fixes.
She changed to another filter and the same happened.
Can someone recap on the possible causes for this please?

Old June 22nd 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message
Am trying to help a friend setup broadband. Whenever she turns on the pc
the phone constantly rings. I know this can be a common problem but I
cannot remember all of the fixes.
She changed to another filter and the same happened.
Can someone recap on the possible causes for this please?

Scratch that. Forgot another phone was plugged in upstairs. Sorted now.

Old June 22nd 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Beck wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
Am trying to help a friend setup broadband. Whenever she turns on the
pc
the phone constantly rings. I know this can be a common problem but I
cannot remember all of the fixes.
She changed to another filter and the same happened.
Can someone recap on the possible causes for this please?

Scratch that. Forgot another phone was plugged in upstairs. Sorted now.

OOPS! :~)

My bad :-)
Incidentally do you know anything about the BT voyager 2091 wireless router?
BT made the install crystal clear except how to setup wep.

Old June 22nd 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Beck" wrote in message

Incidentally do you know anything about the BT voyager 2091 wireless
router?
BT made the install crystal clear except how to setup wep.

It is explained in the user guide on the CD and don't use WEP use WPA!

Old June 22nd 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2

Beck wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
Am trying to help a friend setup broadband. Whenever she turns on the pc
the phone constantly rings. I know this can be a common problem but I
cannot remember all of the fixes.
She changed to another filter and the same happened.
Can someone recap on the possible causes for this please?

Scratch that. Forgot another phone was plugged in upstairs. Sorted now.

I'm puzzled - why would another phone being plugged in make it ring? I
have 5 phones in my house and a router all plugged into the phone
circuit, and none of the phones ring when they aren't supposed to....

My experience of phones ringing when modems are plugged in is of the
incorrect modem cable being used; dunno if this is the same with
routers/usb...?

Old June 22nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm puzzled - why would another phone being plugged in make it ring? I
have 5 phones in my house and a router all plugged into the phone
circuit, and none of the phones ring when they aren't supposed to....

My experience of phones ringing when modems are plugged in is of the
incorrect modem cable being used; dunno if this is the same with
routers/usb...?

I assume because that phone was not filtered so was affecting the line.

Old June 22nd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 22-Jun-2006, "tx2" wrote:

I'm puzzled - why would another phone being plugged in make it ring?

Common problem, try reversing the two wires to the phone that rings
when you plug it in. Or better still get a pocket polarity, loop voltage,
and dial tone detector, such as the EagleHawk one. Then you can
get all the sockets correct.
Old June 22nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

"Beck" wrote in message

"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm puzzled - why would another phone being plugged in make it ring? I
have 5 phones in my house and a router all plugged into the phone
circuit, and none of the phones ring when they aren't supposed to....

My experience of phones ringing when modems are plugged in is of the
incorrect modem cable being used; dunno if this is the same with
routers/usb...?

I assume because that phone was not filtered so was affecting the line.

The filter would not affect this. It is a crossed connection in one of the
extensions.

Old June 22nd 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Simon" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message

"tx2" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm puzzled - why would another phone being plugged in make it ring? I
have 5 phones in my house and a router all plugged into the phone
circuit, and none of the phones ring when they aren't supposed to....

My experience of phones ringing when modems are plugged in is of the
incorrect modem cable being used; dunno if this is the same with
routers/usb...?

I assume because that phone was not filtered so was affecting the line.

The filter would not affect this. It is a crossed connection in one of the
extensions.

Well adding a filter to that phone stopped the ring and the broadband was
okay.